sternum healing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avery582008

Hi! I posted a question yesterday concerning the healing time for post open heart surgery (sternotomy healing). I am post op 13 week. I went for my 12 wk chk-up and was told I am not healing properly. This is my 2nd OHS (13 yrs old) and now 40. I am just concerned if the scar tissue has an impact the second go around? I am getting x-rays next week to see the extent of healing. Doc say's it should already be healed, but I need to know if anyone else has gone through this or ever had to be re-opened and re-wired? He say's he will shave the bone on both sides to a "raw" state and then wire shut again. Any opinions are appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
I had my first OHS four years ago. My second was 7 weeks ago. I saw my surgeon last week and he said my healing is excellent and he discharged me so perhaps it varies.....the usual caveat that everyone is different. I specifically asked my surgeon if I had much scar tissue and he said not anything remarkable. (Not sure what that means.)

Please correct me if I am wrong but I seem to recall you said you might have done too much too soon. That could have had an impact on your healing, perhaps?

I hope the x-rays show you are healing better than your doctor expects. I understand that you would require the ventilator but I wonder why heart lung machine?
Good luck and please let us know.

avery582008 said:
Hi! I posted a question yesterday concerning the healing time for post open heart surgery (sternotomy healing). I am post op 13 week. I went for my 12 wk chk-up and was told I am not healing properly. This is my 2nd OHS (13 yrs old) and now 40. I am just concerned if the scar tissue has an impact the second go around? I am getting x-rays next week to see the extent of healing. Doc say's it should already be healed, but I need to know if anyone else has gone through this or ever had to be re-opened and re-wired? He say's he will shave the bone on both sides to a "raw" state and then wire shut again. Any opinions are appreciated! Thanks

Avery,

The "Rule of Thumb" that I'm familiar with claims that the sternum should (normally) be healed to 85% of it's strength by 6 weeks and 100% at 12 weeks.

We have several members who have had multiple surgeries and I only recall one post about a sternum that did not heal. You mentioned something about the Doc suspecting you may have "done too much too soon" in your first post (which I found buried in another thread). Is that the case? Could you elaborate on that?

Jarring your sternum before your "human bone glue" sets is NOT a good thing and can prevent proper healing.

General Anesthesia (with ventilator) is needed to 'redo' the sternotomy. The Heart / Lung machine is only needed if they need to stop your heart which I would NOT expect for a 'redo' of your sternum incision.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi welcome to the forum, sorry to read your post. I can't answer your question but wanted to send my best wishes. I hope that you get some good results for the x ray and you don't have to go through having a redo, sending a hug and take care.

Back