Sternal Support Braces

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ206

A friend of mine was given a Heart Hugger sternal support brace after bypass surgery and felt it was a great help. You squeeze front handles when coughing or getting up and the brace supports you all the way around and not just in the front like a pillow. Has anyone else used a Heart Hugger or other sternum bracing device? What was your experience? I like the idea that it supports you all the way around.

I'm having surgery on July 24 to replace the aortic valve and ascending aorta and to put in a dacron graft from the ascending to descending aorta to bypass a just-discovered native coarctation.

I just used the pillow, or a folded up blanket. I guess part of it depends upon how tightly the surgeons tie your sternal wires and maybe how much (or little) body tissue you have between your sternum and your skin. I was lucky enough to have my wires tied tightly enough that I never felt any movement of my sternum, and I was skinny enough that the pillow (or just my hands held flat against my chest) was enough to support me if I coughed.

Our experiences vary a lot. Steve had a good experience with sternal wires and many others have as well. My sternum was closed with Sternal Talons - clamps that hold the two halves of the sternum together. With them, I never had a problem with my chest hurting including coughing and sneezing. As Steve has pointed out, however, there are other things that can effect your own experience.

Although I didn't need a pillow during the early weeks of recovery, I found that a pillow was essential when driving. After a short time, it was very uncomfortable to have the shoulder strap ride over my chest. A friend made me a pillow that I still use at times when I am bothered. The tenderness has improved but once in awhile it becomes sensitive again. Here is my pillow for the car.

Best Wishes
Larry

Attachments

• Pillow.jpg
    Pillow.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
I was fine both of my OHS with just a pillow.
I wouldn't bother with any 'devices'. But that is only my opinion and experience.
I also used a pillow for a few weeks between me and the seatbelt.

Although I didn't need a pillow during the early weeks of recovery, I found that a pillow was essential when driving. After a short time, it was very uncomfortable to have the shoulder strap ride over my chest. A friend made me a pillow that I still use at times when I am bothered. The tenderness has improved but once in awhile it becomes sensitive again. Here is my pillow for the car.

Best Wishes
Larry

Larry, I LOVE this pillow!!! I also still get some irritation with the seat belt, so this is such a great idea!!!

PJ206 -

Right after surgery, I used a heart pillow for everything from laughing/coughing/sneezing, to driving - to just plain comfort and I was fine with using just the pillow so I don't have any experience with a brace.

You'll be in my thoughts though for your upcoming surgery!!!!

Rachel

Back