Staples vs thread stitch

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be so facinating alright,youd think after
so many years of post operative infections they
haven't invented something with a more firmer seal.
i mean the more spread the incision,the more openness
it's worse for infection....right? wrong?the glues i guess
would be the closest for that.I guess the study of incision
closing to almost where it was before it was cut,would be nice
as the close of an incision would not have any of those effects
youv'e discribed pam but whats the possibility of doing such
Dought it will happen in my lifetime....well as long as they fix
us up the other ways that need done to accomadate our lives
we put up with these imperfections of stitchings and openess
and gaping and knots and think so much depends on the Dr.
experience maybe too when stitching is underway.But it would
be nice if an incision could be closed tight as it was before it was
cut,that probally fix the infection part of it and allergys and all
Dream on......... Zipper2 (DEB)

Glued twice...after surgery and after having my wires removed. I had dissolvable stiches on the inside part of the incision. I had to perfom minor surgery on myself (with my surgeons's blessing and instructions) after my wire removal surgery becaue a couple of the dissolvable stiches worked their way to the surface after the glue had peeled off. I liked the glue method because it seemed to leave a thinner scar.

Actually, when I had my gall bladder and stones removed in the very early 80's, they tried a new method that the nurses on the ward really bunked up in my case. They left the incision open and just covered it with a tight band dressing and then, were supposed to come in and glue it together and hold closed with steri-strips and tape between 12 and 24 hours post-op.

This worked really well if the guidelines were followed properly. I think they stopped the trials when they realized that truthfully, it was a little much to ask of the nursing staff and the risks wrt infection and improper closure were higher than the benefits of speedier healing. I must admit to feeling quite disconcerted to learn that my muscles and skin were still open when I was back on the ward.

I was left longer than 24 hours thus the wound had started to form dermis cells in order to heal, so the closure wasn't as tight as it should have been. This resulted in a scar that is an inch wide right across my abdomen. ;) that's why I don't worry about my other surgical scars, I haven't worn a bikini since I was 21.

Latest posts

Back