Staples removed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glue & Wire

Glue & Wire

My sternum is wired and they super glued my incision. The incision scar has faded nicely. Scar tissue seems to be a non-issue.

-Philip

My sterum is wired and I have dissolvable sutures on the skin....surface just looks like it i glued together...no sutures or staples, the chest tube holes each have a single purse string suture that will be taken out tomorrow and then i will have steri-strips for a week. That's it for me...

i've got pins (or wires) in my sternum and then a layer of inside out stitches and maybe glue on top of that? it all seems clean now. i can see the pins clearly if I look at x-rays of my chest. not sure if they'll set off a metal detector

Felt much better

Felt much better

I had a bunch of staples, unfortunatly I don't remember the amout. But I have them in a bag in my desk, along with the staple remover. It felt so much better getting those darn things out. No more pulling on the skin and the drainage (a bit) from the incision came out much eaiser. My staples were placed due to the doctor wanted to get out of "Dodge" and be done as soon as possible. I really like my scar, its almost 9" long and looks kinda like a railroad track. I like to remove my shirt now:D , not like prior to surgery.
Mike

Marguerite,

My scar is about 7.5 inches long, was told that they used staples because I was a redo.

Does anyone have any good lotions or ointments or whatever to help with the healing of the scar? My visiting nurse recommended I use vitamin E oil.

Nick

Nick. Many people here use vitamin E. So easy, just buy the vitamin capsules, prick one with a pin and squeeze some on. I found that to be very irritating so I did not use it for very long. I'm sure a lotion fortified with vitamin E is plenty good.

Absolutely nothing should go on the incision until it is truly completely healed.

Recently, for me (I'm at 22 months post-op), I've been to an acupuncturist to try to get the scar healing better...mostly so it just isn't so darn sensitive to the touch. She gave me some "essential oils" (a brew of who knows what made by her partner chiropractor). To that she added Helichrysum (daisy), and Frankincense both to help blood circulation, scar tissue, skin discoloration and inflammation. I use just a drop 3 times a day and I must say...it has helped with the sensitivity of it. It still looks the same, but we're hoping that her treatments to increase blood flow, and my now being able to massage it because it isn't as tender, will allow it to continue to heal more gratifyingly.

Other people swear by aloe vera gel, or lavendar lotion, or tea tree oils. There are also silicone gel lotions and bandages which are getting press for healing properties also.

If you want to go the aromatherapy route (I guess that's what I'm doing! :confused: :rolleyes: ), you might just be able to visit a well stocked natural foods kind of store where they are able to mix you up your choice of scents and someone there would know what scents to add to the essential oil to help with healing.

Good luck with yours and congratulations on coming through a redo with such a wonderful attitude!

Best wishes.

Marguerite

I am a Vitamin E user on scars. I did use the capsules since each one was sealed and less chance for contamination. Vitamin E oil can be very messy tho so either go without a shirt or wear one you don't care about. I actually had a couple of t-shirts that I cut down the front and wore with a sash so I could pull the front open away from the scar. Even after 3 OHS & 1 reopening of the scar due to an internal infection, my scar is very light and very flat.

Back