Stairs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryC

Before my surgery in February, I would get winded when I climbed stairs. I realized after I got further along in my knowledge of my mitral valve issue, I had had this symptom for years, or at least that's what I attributed it to. Therefore, knowing I had the problem, I avoided exercise with any type of stair climbing. Now that I've had my mitral valve repair, I expected to be able to climb stairs with no problems but I still notice my heart rate picks up and other related symptoms. I am able to ride a bike for 25 miles, walk 5 miles, jog 3 miles, but I am afraid of stairs. Should I try building up with various stair exercises or should I be concerned and avoid stairs until my appointment in December with my cardio?

MaryC said:
Before my surgery in February, I would get winded when I climbed stairs. I realized after I got further along in my knowledge of my mitral valve issue, I had had this symptom for years, or at least that's what I attributed it to. Therefore, knowing I had the problem, I avoided exercise with any type of stair climbing. Now that I've had my mitral valve repair, I expected to be able to climb stairs with no problems but I still notice my heart rate picks up and other related symptoms. I am able to ride a bike for 25 miles, walk 5 miles, jog 3 miles, but I am afraid of stairs. Should I try building up with various stair exercises or should I be concerned and avoid stairs until my appointment in December with my cardio?
I am no exercise expert :eek: But if you can ride 25 miles, walk five and jog three I would guess that maybe it is just conditioning. It seems to me that riding a bike and stair climbing would use a lot of the same muscles:confused:

Could just be psychological.

Mary,
I am not post op, but. . . I am pre op with mitral and aortic problems.
I think there is something to this, because I can walk 5 miles (although, its getting harder) but climing a full flight of stairs is another story, I get winded and my heart accelerates, and if you give me bags to bring up the stairs its all over, I have to sit down afterward.

I dont think this is worth avoiding stairs over, if you can ride 25 miles then doing a few flights of stairs isnt going to hurt you, and it may actually help you! also, "avoiding" stairs may feed into your anxiety of stairs. the more you do them the easier they will get. I would work on not avoiding stairs, and hopefully it gets better. if its still this bad in december I would talk to your cardio about it, and see what they say. Of course, if you get really symptomatic, you should contact your cardio first. . .

Morgan, 20

It was well over a year before I was able to walk up stairs without getting winded and feeling my heart pumping hard. The escalators at my train station never seem to be working, and the stairs have a steep incline. However, I'm 20 months out now and I run up those stairs, with a full backpack loaded with my laptop and files from work, and feel great. It takes time and conditioning. Best wishes.

Hm. That is a question! I avoid stairs to some degree because my knees are bad and I'm overweight....the surgery certainly improved my situation, but like you, I'm fine til I hit an incline.

Personally, since you are curious/anxious about it, you might place a call to the cardio's office and ask to have a nurse call you. Explain to her that you have a December appointment but that this one particular thing is really bugging you and is there anything pre-appointment that you can do to aleve your concerns. I always like to "plant a seed" with the doctor ahead of time in case they might want you to use the pre-appointment time to lower a dose of meds, or measure your heart rate at certain times, or whatever. Then you're already in conversation by the time you get there.

Do let us know what you find out! I'm curious too.

:) Marguerite

Hello MaryC,
It sounds like you are exercising well and the stairs have just become a sort of "issue".
I've always done 7 stairs no problem, but the 15 steps in my house were SO intimidating.....its a good winter activity.:)

Start Small and Work Your Way Up

Start Small and Work Your Way Up

Hi -

I had the same problem post-op with doing push-ups. I waited till my surgeon said it was OK for my sternum but I could not do even one push-up off my knees.

A friend recommended starting with doing them just standing a little back from a wall and pushing back. That was easy. Then more of them and standing a little further back. Finally, a few off my knees then more and a few full pushups then some off my toes. I can knock off 25-30 now without trouble 5 months after surgery.

I would recommend starting with just a few stairs (like 3). Walk up then walk down. Rest and repeat. After a week of that, try 4 or 5. Work up slowly based on how you feel but do it every day or two.

Good luck.

John

I may be cured!

I may be cured!

I am so excited. We went to the high school football game last night and sat on the lower seats. My daughter and I made 3 trips to the concession stands which meant we had to climb straight up I don't know how many stairs. I was only slightly winded when we got to the top of the stairs. I am so excited because I don't remember the last time I made a climb like this without getting really winded and out of breath. All I can say is thanks again, Dr Ryan!!

Mary, I can feel your joy. I'm so happy for you! It must be so wonderful to know that all you have endured has been so worthwhile. Congrats to you!

MaryC said:
I am so excited. We went to the high school football game last night and sat on the lower seats. My daughter and I made 3 trips to the concession stands which meant we had to climb straight up I don't know how many stairs. I was only slightly winded when we got to the top of the stairs. I am so excited because I don't remember the last time I made a climb like this without getting really winded and out of breath. All I can say is thanks again, Dr Ryan!!
cry3.gif
I wanna be able to do that too!
cry3.gif

Bina said:
Ross, don't cry.....I'm not a stair person either....
I used to be able to do 10 without being breathless, now it's 5. Some days I feel like if I just move, I'm done.

Ross said:
I used to be able to do 10 without being breathless, now it's 5. Some days I feel like if I just move, I'm done.

I don't think I can do five!:eek: :(

cardio rehab?

cardio rehab?

Have any of you done cardio rehab after your surgery? The PT guy in the hospital recommends it, but i have to wait till I see the surgeon on the 20th. So far (3 weeks tomorrow) all I am doing is walking - I'm up to 15 min a day. I really feel like my upper body is weak - even my arms. I have a hard time blowing my hair dry. Walking up stairs used to really wind me...it doesn't now, but I do feel weak in the knees by the time I get there!
Curious if the rehab is worth it.

Donnamarie,
I did cardiac rehab and it was great for me. I felt more confident exercising in the early weeks after surgery knowing someone was monitoring my heart rate and BP closely. It didn't hurt that we were next to the hospital either! :D I went quite a few weeks but I didn't finish the entire program. It became hard to go back and forther from work - and I was at a point where I was surpassing what they will let you do.

Latest posts

Back