Spring race ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently ran my first Half marathon after AVR and LOVED every minute of it!!
Looking forward to running local 5k's.
Happy summer running everyone!

Congratulations on finishing the recent half. Glad it was a good experience for you. Where was it and what was your time? 5Ks in the summer are good and get it over quicker. They also help in working on a faster pace. Keep up the training without overdoing it and you'll be really ready for the fall 1/2.

Hot damn. Good job!!!! That ticket should lend some power to calves and feet ;) Imagine how supercharged they would be. Great job!

Recently ran my first Half marathon after AVR ...

Congratulations. 13.1 is not an easy run in anybody's estimation. I've run hundreds of races but only a few halfs and only one post-AVR. The tough part is doing sufficient training. Just showing up at the starting line is a big accomplishment in my book.

To tprice54 and coffeelover.
Congratulations on your achievements, it gives others great incorrigement. Must admit I have been trying
to get back to some decent races since my operation, but with a prostate operation, and recently two cataract
operations my training has been curtailed!
Last year i managed a few shorter race: 2km x-country = 10min 30sec
4km x-country= 21min (long steep hill)
Started the long haul back again yesterday. I was going so slow, that I nearly fell flat on my face a few
times. (ha ha)
Good luck to everyone giving it a go.
See Ya
Brian

Brian, it seems slow....but the more you can keep at it, the better you will feel......

Good stuff everyone! I had my AVR and aneurysm repair 11/15/12. I used to run 5k's with my wife prior to surgery, and the best time I ever turned in was 39:45. I ran my first 5k since surgery 3/23/13 at 35:59, and then 5/4/13 I turned in a 32:57! It's really amazing what we can do once our tickers are fixed!

I've been able to run without stopping, but I did start my training with the interval method, and the best thing for me so that I didn't have to stare at my watch was the Runkeeper app on my iPhone. It give audio cues at whatever interval you set, based on time or distance. Really handy.

Hi Lederman40
Well done on your 5km times, really good after such a short time from your operation. Isn't all this new technology for reading heart/milage etc terriffic. Unfortunately, getting on in years, I was never taught any of this, and I feel even lost on the internet at times!
I would like to buy a 'Garmin'. Now that I have recently had both my 'cataracts' removed, I should be able to read the contents!
I am slowly getting back into training, and hoping to do our famous "Bondi to Surf' race (14km - very undulating) in August. We get about 80,000 runners!!
See Ya
Brian

Garmin is a useful tool to keep your training in a zone. Have not used mine in awhile, maybe I'll charge it up!

Back