Spring race ...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeelover

Hi valvers!
Signed up for my first big race after AVR --looking forward to running/walking a half marathon this spring! Any one else running a spring half?

YES!

I've got the Heart Mini 15K in March and the Gazelle Girl half in April!!! These will be my longest since my surgery (summer 2011).

Good luck to on your event Coffeelover, you've got me beat by 6 months - way to go!

Rachel

I'm planning a half marathon in spring too - my spring is in August though :) However first I need to get over a foot injury! Who woulda thunk it, the heart is raring to go and my foot says 'I don't think so'. Very funny . . . .

My first op was October 2010 and second was September 2011.

Coffeelover do you mean winter 2011 you had surgery?

I'm doing the Sarasota Half Marathon on March 17. Did the 4-mile Ringling Bridge Run yesterday as part of my preparation. Finished in 48 minures, or a 12 min/mile pace. About average for me, I'm no speed demon; more of a slow-and-steady type.
Good luck with your race.
Mark

I have one planned for the beginning of April and another for the first Saturday in June. I planned a marathon for March 2 but had to opt out because of having a pacemaker implanted.
You're one year post surgery so shouldn't have a problem. Listen to your body and one thing to think about, you may not be as fast as you were before surgery.
Let us know what race you pick and when it is. We are all a good cheering section. :)

Mark,
Good luck with your race!
I will be trying the run/walk method of doing this upcoming Half--I AM SO excited to be part of the FUN!

I do the Galloway run/walk method, not because of my heart, but do to chronic knee and Achilles problems. Normally do a 3:1 run/walk ratio, which works for me.
Good luck,
Mark

Mark,
I am probably going to do the Galloway run/walk method for my first race after AVR.
Quick question about the 3:1 run/walk ratio: how did you keep track of when to switch back and forth. Did you have to use an alarm system that you preset on a running watch or did you manage by just keeping your eye on your watch?
I did a six mile run/walk on the TM yesterday and it worked great!

When I first started doing the Galloway thing I just kept my eye on my watch. Last year I got a new Timex Ironman watch that has an interval timer function where you can set your run and walk intervals and have it automatically beep. Works great and makes it a lot easier to keep track of things.
Mark

I just finished the WDW Marathon 1/13, but have been fighting back problem ever since....at least it's not a heart issue!

MarkU,
Thanks for the info about the Timex Ironman watch--great running tool to have for running/walking a race.
Interval timers would make it alot easier to keep track of when to stop running and start walking then back to running again.Time to get a new watch!

I will have to check out that watch too.No way will I be able to keep track of run/walk intervals in my head! LOL!

If you don't have some kind of GPS watch get one. I have a older Garmin 301 and a 305 that are still perfectly reliable. The 405 is about the lastest. I have several running friends and my daughter who has them and really like it. It will give you all kinds of feedback information and tell you things you may not want to know too. :)

Latest posts

Back