Spitting up blood.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ovie

So last night, around 11 pm, I headed to the bathroom to get ready for bed, as I walked in I tasted blood, so I spit into the sink and what do you know, there was blood. I continued this (to spit) because I tasted blood, not that irony taste that resembles the taste of blood, but blood. It was more saliva than blood, but it was consistent, there wasn't a time where it didn't appear a little. Kept an eye on it and around 2 am it was still going, I called the ER, and explained everything, the surgery, coumadine what have you. She said don't worry about it if it's not alot. She said maybe there is some minor bleeding in your mouth or something, but I looked in there like I was searching for gold and nothing.

Woke up today, nothing..it was gone. However tonight, same thing as I walked into the bathroom, hadn't done anything yet, blood..again. it's consistent, and same as last night, not alot, but it's there. I find this really strange, and ask if any of you had anything like this happen post surgery?

Any input would be appreciated.

Hmmm... Wow. Have you tried to spit other times in the day other then before bed to see if there is any blood? Trying to narrow the possibilities down. If it is a before bedtime only thing, what are you doing/eating/drinking right before bedtime.

This is strange...

What is your INR? I have commonly had minor nose bleeds when my INR was high or even high but in-range. If the nosebleed is back far enough, it will drip down into the back of your throat and appear in your spit. That's my guess as to what's going on. I had minor nosebleeds periodically, but now with my INR running consistently at the low end of the range, I haven't for a long time.

Yeah, I spit during the day, it's a nasty habit, but what can you do, and no blood during the day.

I had INR tested actually yesterday, first day of it happening, I was at 2.6 and they want to keep me between 2.5 -3.5. No nose bleed, but is it possible to have one without blood coming from the nose.

Had you just brushed your teeth? Could you have some gingivitis? Just a thought as bleeding gums can be a sign of this. Just a thought...

Ovie - How is the relative humidity in your home? If it is dry (such as if the heat is forced air heat), then the dryness may cause slight bleeds in the nasal passages, which as you said, may not result in blood coming from the nose. It could be from the back of your throat. Is your throat or nose feeling dry?

Hadn't brushed.

EPST, it's rather dry in my room, and tends to get worse at night when this has been occurring. That sounds like a reasonable explanation. It's just such a strange thing.

Yep, it's strange, but you are on warfarin now. Nosebleeds, particularly in dry climates, may be more common. I have experienced them, as I said, but usually it was a fair sign my INR was getting a bit close to the high side.

During the first few weeks post-op, I had blood in my morning mucus that I spit up. It was due to a little extra nose bleeding I had. Seems to have gone away since, even though I do have seasonal nose-bleeds. I suppose this is common for those of us starting out on an anti-coag.

If it's dry in your bedroom, maybe you could try a humidifier while you sleep. See if it is from dry air. When I first got home from the hospital I had nose bleeds, spit up blood, etc. I think it may just be our bodies adjusting to this new anti-coagulant way of life.

Latest posts

Back