%^$#*&@!# Spirometer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

wlaldridge

Now this thing is frustrating. I was 3500 pre-op and got to 2250 5 days post op in hospital. Since I am home and pretty dedicated to geting "up and running" ASAP, I can not get this fool thing above 2000 and today worse 1500 seems max. Breathe, Breathe, Breathe about twice per hour. Staying on the confounded pain meds so it only provides minor pain to cough, etc but this is nuts.

Can anyone relate their experience at getting back to pre op levels or better??

Hi and good morning neighbor, thanks for the encouraging word over the last few weeks. Yeh guess my sailor language is just too salty for such genteel lady..

Back to my wind machine.

B.

I hate to tel you this Bill, but 1 year+ post op, Joe is still using his spirometer. It's a part of his life. He has CHF which is mostly controlled, but from time to time he has to work on those lungs. Of course, he also had a couple of serious lung surgeries too.

You do what you've gotta do.

Good Moorning, Bill.....

Don't worry so much about that d....ed spirometer. Keep ising it, but what our cardio told us was to keep moving. He said theywere more concerned with people who weren't moving because of pneumonia setting in. Be patient and in a week or two it will be back up in range; at least that's what happened with Tyce. He was disappointed at times, too, but remember you are still healing. I think the best day was about 3-4 weeks post when he threw the darned thing out!!

Have fun sucking!!!!!

Evelyn

What's the difference

What's the difference

in that darn thing and just sucking in air???Hear your valve loud when you suck in?..I threw mine away after a few weeks. Someone said it got germy and that was a good reason for me to do so....so get up and walk..but raining cats and dogs here in Ga. Mountains... You need to go back to Sam's today and find that b---h and run over her in the motorized wheelchair..:D :D Bonnie

Genteel Ladies

Genteel Ladies

P.S. That Southern Lady in deFuniak Springs and myself can send you some of our salty jokes..:D :D They'll make you cough. but let's keep them clean Ann:D :D but I don't know any clean ones;) ;) Bonnie Blue from Georgia

Hi Bill,

Yep, it takes a while to get back to pre-op performance levels.

I found I could get another 10 to 20% by using my diaphram to help 'suck in' more air, i.e., your belly goes OUT as you inhale, pulling your
diaphram down.

A little 'crustiness' is a GOOD sign...but your caretakers may find you 'irritable' (or so I was told after my first surgery :)

'AL'

yep, hated mine too.. still have it though haven't used it after my first month post-op.. i do try to deep breath exercises each day.. nothing major - glad your on your road to recovery..

cmb

Hey, Bonnie - I swanee you ought to post that suth'n joke in here for Bill. And our yankee friends, bless their hearts. But you left out the part about "every which way a country boy knows to go to town", "she was unseemly (he never was because he's a MAN, but SHE was), bless her heart", and "I've got to get up with her by Thursday".

Thanks all, I was some worried that I was failing or back sliding or just not measuring up. Gosh, do we get more competitive as we age, I don't think this thing has raised my testostorone levels any, who knows.

Bon, I was not using the motorized cart or that little broad might have had and "accident"

Going to exercise and shower now. Got to keep moving, I guess.

Isn't Ross a MIRACLE, I know you guys are really relieved to have him back. And it sure humbles me to see his struggle and obvious strenth.

Thanks for being here all of you,

Bill

Last edited:
Bill,
I don't want to be an alarmist, but I REALLY think you need to talk to your doctor NOW. It may be that there is a problem with the spirometer itself, but if you were at 2250 five days post-op, but are now backsliding, with 1500 your max, something is not right. I was cautioned to watch for this myself, and to call my doctor immediately if I had big steps backwards. One thing I have learned here is that, in spite of all our collected knowledge and experience on this forum, we are not medical doctors. I am concerned about issues like CHF, pneumonia, etc. and truly hope that it is none of those things, but diminished lung function is nothing to screw around with. Please give your doctor a call.

Best,
--John

Check with your Doc

Check with your Doc

I'm with John on this one...at least touch base with your doctor. Are you having any fluid retention problems? I was...big time and it made it hard for me to breathe until they found a diuretic that got my abdomen dried out.

Latest posts

Back