Spartangator's Post Op Marathon Debut

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Good Luck on Sunday Spartangator. :D Looks like it's going to be a great morning, down to 48 degrees overnight, should be low 50s at the start.

Austin 3M Marathon

We'll be looking for your race recap. Wear that Valvereplacement.com shirt well! :cool:

Good luck in your marathon. I hope your experience is a good one and you meet every one of your goals. From a veteran of many marathons two last words of advice: 1. Don't tie your shoes as tight as you usually do and double knot them. 2. Don't get caught up in the adrenalin rush and go out too fast; pace yourself in the first 5 or 6 miles and you'll have a happier finish.
I'm really excited for you and looking forward to your race report.

Wow :D. You all are the absolute best. Just wow. Couldn't be classier!

I'm laying out my gear now and making plans to arrive at the starting line early. Then it's all about eating and sleeping tonight.

Today's a bit of a nervous day--but the excited kind. Tomorrow's going to be an emotional one for sure. It feels like the culmination of so much in the last 16 months that I know I'll be a bit of a mess once it's all over (if not during, too). It's quite the journey we all go on, isn't it?

Thank you so much for the advice and support all along. Nothing's more helpful during those training miles when it's dark out and not particularly exciting to be putting one foot in front of the other.

Tomorrow's going to be a strong day. Kodi, I promise to be diligent about the shoes and keeping under control at the opening. The update'll go up as soon as I get near a computer tomorrow evening. On to the big day...

Good luck and best wishes!
We'll be waiting for a report when you have time to write one.:)

Great Job! Isn't it wonderful to set a goal and then accomplish it!

I wish you many more great races in the future too.

Take care Debbie :)

All went well :). Finished fast for me, about 4:20, I think. A good time overall but in a twisted, self-abuse sorta way. I'll be back with more info soon, but coherent thoughts are not really an option at the moment.

Good job!
Can't wait to read about the "twisted, self-abuse sorta way".;):p:p

Excellent! I know the emotions of finishing the marathon...especially for us post ops....
can't wait to here your race report!

The morning news showed a giant fireball shooting through the sky over that marathon. I know you were excited and all but you wouldn't have been the cause of that would you?

Yahoo! 4:20 is a great time for a first marathon without having a valve replacement. You conquered! Waiting for the nitty-gritty.

All went well :). Finished fast for me, about 4:20, I think. A good time overall but in a twisted, self-abuse sorta way. I'll be back with more info soon, but coherent thoughts are not really an option at the moment.

Woohoo, woohoo,woohoo. Happy dancing all over the place. :D

I wanna hear all about it. Could not be happier for you and as Kodi said "a 4:20 is a great time without having a valve replacement" so "You ROCK!"

We are the 'twisted, self-abuse sorta way' :cool: You made it to the finish! :D:p:p and 'coherent thoughts not being an option', that goes with the territory.

So proud of you!:):)

I'm still a little sore a week later. That's the best summary I can offer. As I said, all went well, but it was every bit the challenge one would expect and more.

After a start that was about 20 minutes late and a delay getting across the starting line, the first 14 or so miles were strong. We had a cruise through south Austin on a cool morning. I was going at a nice pace and feeling great, actually a little ahead of my expectations. The first 8 miles or so were easy terrain so I was careful to not go too fast, keeping tabs with the pace group I planned to follow. Then we hit some tougher, hilly areas, and all was still well. That specific stretch had been a frequent training run for me, and Sunday was better than most of the training runs, inadvertently leaving me ahead of the pace group.

My placement didn't concern me a ton, though, because I felt so good. My feet were moving; my heartrate was actually a little low for running; and my muscles felt strong.

Then came time to pay the piper at about mile 14 :(. The pace group ate me up. I was a struggling gazelle, and it was a hungry lion. I was crushed emotionally and sliding physically, too. I had been strong and feeling great, but all of a sudden, there was no gas in the tank, and my hips were sore. Thank goodness my wife and a bunch of our friends were at the next mile marker cheering me on. I really would have been in trouble if not for their good spirits.

From about mile 16 on, it was this alternating battle between hip flexors that demanded I quit and then all of a sudden let me feel great. Mile 16 was a drag, but at 17, all felt perfect again. It was crazy. I was consuming as much as I could to keep my energy up, but I was still hungry for most of the last portion (another downside to weighing 220 lbs).

The last third of the race was all about the crowd. Bless the people of Austin and my wife/friends who were following on bikes. The people were out on their lawns and generally going crazy. Boy Scout troops stood on the side of the road asking for high fives, and about 30 bands put on concerts at different points in the city.

A bunch of people had signs and followed the race, like my wonderful band of supporters, for example. Every few miles, the same groups would pop up and cheer for you again. One teenager had an "Only one more hill, Dad" sign and appeared every three miles or so. There was always more than one hill remaining so by the end runners were yelling at the kid: "Didn't you say that four hills ago?" or "Quit lying to me" (in jest, of course).

Plus--and this was the most entertaining--all the runners had their names on their bibs. The spectators would read these and yell out personal encouragement. Oh what a difference that makes (both for some good laughs and some genuine support). We'd be going by and hear: "Hey, pick it up, Johnson, quit being lazy" or "Nice job, Smith, think about why you're doing this."

I slogged through these miles thinking about the past year and reminding myself how badly I want to discuss this with future patients to let them know it's possible. Not to be overly dramatic or sentimental, but there were moments when this thought was the dominant reason to keep going.

Some short but tough hills popped up toward the finish so I had to walk a bit and just did my best to make progress. Some hip flexor tightness forced me to powerwalk to stretch my legs fully and loosen things up (noticed a couple of older guys doing this and figured I'd take a lesson).

At mile 25, we took a sharp corner and could see the buildings around the finish line. An active crowd cheered as we made the turn, and I noticed I could easily make my target time (4:30) with some continued hustle. I high-fived some guy who was enthusiastically yelling from the sidewalk and did my best to take off down the stretch. This went well until we hit the last hill at about mile 25 3/4.

I swear to you, it was straight up, a paved wall. I don't believe I've seen a bigger hill before in my life. It was like Everest on top of K2 on top of McKinley. OK, so maybe it was about .2 miles that don't even show up as a bump on Google Maps, but who are you gonna believe, me or the smartest company in the world? Yeah, thought so. Anyhow, this wiped me out for about a tenth of a mile.

Not quite realizing how close the finish was to the hilltop, I looked up and saw the railings along the street and the huge crowds and went to the line with everything left. I recall nothing about that last two-tenths of a mile. I was so busy pushing for the line that I kind of forgot to look around and soak it in. Oh well, there was plenty of that afterward.

My wife and friends who had been following the whole day were all there and oh-so-patiently waited while I tried to get myself together and get some food down in addition to a massage so I could kind of walk. After some brief celebrations, more urgent matters took over, and we absolutely demolished some French toast and breakfast tacos. Those poor things didn't stand a chance.

The next few days (Monday, Tuesday) were not especially productive, making the rest of the week a mess. But it was totally worth it. I have to admit, it wasn't much fun during and even after had lots of moments I could do without, but now looking back a week later, my memories are the positive parts. The notion of ever doing something like this strikes me as so implausible, surgery or no. Yet, here on the table still is this heavy finisher's medal that I can't help but play with every morning.

Attached is a picture of the finish line. If it looks like I'm walking on air, it's because I actually am. I jumped on the line with everything I had, and this photo is the rebound.

Thank you immensely to everyone here who has been so supportive and helpful (not to mention reading this novel--sincere apologies, there's just so much to get out after all this). Sumorunner, sorry about the confusion surrounding the Texas fireball as well. We just couldn't contain the post-race celebrating. Sometimes it gets out of hand, you know.

Oh, and as I'm waiting for the massage to loosen up my quads, who do I run into but a transplant nurse. She had just finished the race as well. All I could do was thank her profusely on behalf of lots of other people. Her and her husband were so sweet, asking about my situation and discussing the race. It sounds like she has some lucky patients who get wonderfully compassionate care.

There's the full story and nitty-gritty. Thank you again.

Nice report! Sounds like me after every single marathon...never again....for about 4-6 weeks, then it creeps back into my mind....do another!

What a great report. It brought back so many memories of all the marathons I did, good or bad. I think Tom would agree that we have both been on the same trip more than once. Does it get easier, yes and no.
Congratulations once again. Rest and do some nice easy runs to recover.

I'm still a little sore a week later. That's the best summary I can offer.

As Kodi said, a few easy runs will help with the soreness.

Yet, here on the table still is this heavy finisher's medal that I can't help but play with every morning.

:) Makes it all worthwhile. I walked a bit in my marathons also, no one was going to deny me that finisher's medal, even if I had to crawl across that finish! As I said in my prior post "You Rock!"

Attached is a picture of the finish line. If it looks like I'm walking on air, it's because I actually am. I jumped on the line with everything I had, and this photo is the rebound.

Look out Sumorunner, looks like you have some competition for the finish line waltz.:p

Great narrative!:)
Shoot, I can't run five miles, but reading your account makes me want to try!:p

A huge CONGRATULATIONS on finishing the marathon. Shoot, I can barely finish spelling it..!!:D

What an inspiration you are.. I didn't miss a word of your narrative, uh - uh dissertation..:D I'm sure it was a very exciting day for you and your family and friends...and your doctors too..!

Back