Southern Food

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tbone
yep. When I lived in MI folks up there did not eat okra. But when I put cornmeal on it and deep fried it they converted. Same thing with Catfish in MD,

I'm glad somebody ferreted out this old thread. It's a topic near and dear to my heart.

The trouble with frying everything is that what you fry taste more like what you fry it in than what it is. As a long-time heart patient, I've been able to develop heart-healthy recipes for almost everything they fry around here--and even old Texas cowboys like it better than what they're used to. Oven fries taste like potatoes, but sweet and crispy; oven-fried chicken taste like the world's best chicken, only better (cook it with the skin and then ditch the skin before you eat it; or bread the skinned chicken; or--as long as you don't do this a lot--bread, cook, and eat it skin-on).

Since I've got a really well-insulated oven, I can get away with using it in the summer; mind you I don't have central A/C either (which makes me an un-American hippie communist to my neighbors). But I have two big attic fans, my house is 85 years old and made of solid wood, and there are twenty-plus trees over 50 ft. tall on my half acre. We cool the bedroom, the study, and the sitting room (where the TV is) but that's it. If it's really too hot to cook, there's always Barbecue, which is the best gift ever given a heart patient.

And just to show you it can be done: in my 30 years of living in this town (well, in the Dallas area), I've never been to the Texas State Fair, where I think crap like deep-fried twinkies, deep-fried coke, deep-fried ice cream (!), and all the other examples of wretched excess were invented.

Back