Southern Food

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Barry

While the hamdog certainly achieves wreched excess...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-02-13-southernfood-health_x.htm

...the article doesn't address what I had thought was a large part of what leads to traditional Southern food often being unhealthy: That it's hot in the South, and when it's hot frying foods is a good way to cook them without heating up your already-hot house.

Wondering 'bout the Southerners out there: How much truth is there to the stereotype of Southern food often being fried and greasy?

Barry Wondering 'bout the Southerners out there: How much truth is there to the stereotype of Southern food often being fried and greasy?[/QUOTE said:
Yes, there is some truth to it. There are plenty of fruits and vegetables though and new potatoes and yams. In season, baskets of produce seem to appear out of nowhere. I have to agree though that the preparation does negate much of their benefit. I don't think I would refer to our food as "greasy" though. That sounds like a northern opinion.

bvdr said:
...I don't think I would refer to our food as "greasy" though. That sounds like a northern opinion.

Well, to this northerner, "greasy" is a compliment. I've got no problem with sweets, but just love salty greasy food.

My mother's fried chicken and chicken fried steak with brown gravy was never greasy! Is it true what they say about northern food being bland and boring! :D

Truthfully, I think that adding breading to food and frying it probably was because it adds bulk and flavor to cheap meat and vegetables without adding a lot of cost, thus resulting in a more filling, cheap meal.

Lisa in Katy said:
Is it true what they say about northern food being bland and boring! ...

My mother was an Irishwoman from Nebraska. Here's her standard recipe:

1. Take what you want to cook
2. Put it in a pot of water
3. Bring it to a boil
4. Simmer until it is no longer recognizable

Yes, I do believe "bland and boring" would be an apt description!

I've had some bland southern food and some rather tasty northern food. I think the cook may have a lot to do with the outcome. I grew up in northern Indiana and ate plenty of fried foods. I have taught myself to eat mostly non-fried foods and have learned I prefer to taste the food more than the breading and grease. That isn't to say that I don't like some good fried chicken or fried chicken livers or fried cornbread or fried fish or fried ice cream (rather southern, amigos) for that matter.

I love to go to the festivals here in our small towns. The fried dill pickles,green tomatoes and twinkies are delicious. My granddaughter eats all the boiled peanuts and kettle corn that I will let her eat.

silly question from a person across the pond!

What is a twinkie?????
Only place I've ever heard of one was in the film 'Grease'! I always wondered what they were

Emma
xxx

Its like a small sponge cake with white icing in the middle. At some of the street festivals here they deep fry them. Not very healthy, but good for a treat once or twice a year.

I also saw deep-fried Oreos at a carnival. I've always said that I could eat most anything if it was covered with chocolate, but even I can't fathom chocolate covered in fat!

Well, I would definitely make boiled peanuts an exception to the rule that Southern foods tend to be fried (although bvdr says "greasy" like it's a bad thing).

Had boiled peanuts once. Tasted like one of my mom's recipes. 'nuff said.

Otherwise I'm a fancier of Southern food, and ascribe to the dictum that you can determine the quality of the food at a truck stop diner by counting the number of calendars. The more calendars, the better the food is likely to be.

Emma...

Emma...

Here's a picture of that good ol' American staple....The Twinkie
Interesting tidbit here:
FATTEST CITIES
1. Houston
2. Philadelphia
3. Detroit
4. Memphis
5. Chicago
6. Dallas
7. New Orleans
8. New York
9. Las Vegas
10. San Antonio (Yikes, we sunk to 10th.. :mad: )

Friend of a friend of mine has - I kid you not - an unopened 40 year-old Twinkie from when she was a kid.

I never cared for them, even as a kid, and as far as I know, they are incapable of sustaining any known life form.

This is a really old thread, but the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo ended a few weeks ago, and as always, the food was amazing. The new thing that I saw was Chicken Fried Bacon! It was breaded and deep fried! Instant heart attack. No wonder they used to call it the fat stock show!

Here's a recipe I found online - definitely not heart smart!

Chicken Fried Bacon W/Cream Gravy
By: 4Susan
Feb 13, 2006

Bacon - it's the icecream of the meat world, high in Vitamin-G (grease) and bound to make the food police crazy! This side of fat douple-dipped in fat then fried in fat & served with a side of fat (cream gravy) recipe comes from Sodolak's Original Country Inn restaurant in Snook, Texas. Cream gravy is my own recipe. I do not admit to ever making fried bacon so prep time is a guesstimate
SERVES 6

Ingredients

1 lb thick sliced bacon, cut in half
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (or cream or half & half)
1/2 cup flour
spices (optional)
oil (for frying)

Cream Gravy
3 tablespoons drippings or butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons heavy cream (whipping)
salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper

Directions
1 Heat oil in a frying pan over med-high heat.
2 Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl.
3 Place flour in another bowl - season it if you'd like (garlic, pepper, salt, lemon, cajun, etc.).
4 Double dip - first in the egg mixture, then into the flour and repeat.
5 Fry in oil until golden brown.
6 Serve with cream gravy for dipping; also good served with steak.
7 To make cream gravy:.
8 Put drippings or butter in a sauce pan over med-high heat. Whisk in the flour until well blended; cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually add milk whisking constantly; return to heat & whisk until the gravy thickens; Whisk in the cream, salt & pepper.

Yes, there is alot of fried foods but you don"t have to eat it. Lots of good stuff like shrimp, alligator, crawfish. gumbo etc. We like lots of spicy food too.
Bobbie

If its not breaded, deep fried with gravy and served with sweet tea it just is not southern.

You forgot the deep fried okra, and catfish. Or better yet the morning bacon, and onion biscuts with butter. MMMMMMMMMMM

Latest posts

Back