Sometimes it is hard not to worry a little

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvdr

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I probably shouldn't even post this but maybe I'll feel better just putting it into words. I am feeling a little emotional today because not only am I tired with dealing with a painful shoulder but I have been referred to yet another doctor and I don't think the week is over yet.

Several weeks ago I took a really hard fall and injured my left shoulder. I went to the ER, followed up with my family doctor and my orthopedic doctor a couple of times. Last week I had 2 arthrograms and 2 MRIs. The second set was done because the quality of the first one was questioned. Tomorrow I get the results. I am so hoping that no surgery is indicated but I do want it to get better.

So, I've had this constant pain in my shoulder and yet what has weighed more heavily on my mind is the discovery of a breast lump. I've talked to my Gyn doc about this and I see him tomorrow. It will probably be fine...most lumps are but it needs to get checked.

That brings me to today. I faithfully get my dental check-ups and cleanings every 6 months and today was my routine visit. My hygienist mentions that for the first time she notices the slightest bit of puffiness in my gums. I told her that I haven't flossed very much in the last few weeks because lifting my arm has been so painful. No problem. Then she asks me how long this reddened area on the soft palate of my mouth has been present. I told her I didn't even know I had such an area. Next thing I know my dentist is in looking at it and I have to see an oral surgeon for consultation. My dentist said it is probably nothing but it has the appearance of early squamous cell cancer. My history of SCC of my upper lip makes me high risk so he doesn't want to observe it for changes. My appointment is July 6 and I am really hoping it is just plain gone by then and I can cancel it. I've got photographs so I can watch for improvement.

It has helped to write this out and it doesn't seem so bad after all. Everything is complicated by having a mechanical valve and coumadin though. Be it surgery, biopsies, or even just the need for pre-medication makes things a bit more complicated.

I hope to soon post that no shoulder surgery is needed, the lump is benign, and the red patch on the roof of my mouth just plain disappeared! If you've got room on your prayer list pencil in my name alright?

Geez, Betty! When it rains, it pours!

As my surgery-sister, you have a permanent place on my prayer list. :)

And no need to be so stoic! Breast lumps, possible cancer, and shoulder surgery aren't things to be treated lightly. . .and here you are dealing with all three at once.

Here's hoping for tests that turn out negative and strength to endure dealing with the medical system, one day at a time.

Keep us posted.

Melissa

Oh Betty-

All of these things at once, or even one at a time. Of course you're worried, who wouldn't be?

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Joe and I have both had days and weeks like this. It is a torture beyond belief. Just have to take one s--t at a time, as Churchill was purported to say and hope that they are all resolved quickly and with no unusual consequences.

You're right, most breast, the VAST majority are B9, and maybe you just burned the roof of your mouth on something hot, and forgot about it.

And your shoulder, well, maybe that will take a little time to resolve, but I'm betting there is 100 percent recovery there.

God Bless, Betty.

Let us know how it goes.

Hey Betty,
I am sorry to hear the problems you are having right now. I hope that all your tests come back negative.
Tell Tom you need to have more vacations. :D
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Take Care

I am so sorry, I hope and pray you will be ok, my Mom had a lump, it was benign..but that dosent ease the fears.. My husband John has cancer on his scalp, skin cancer..which was removed, and its growing back. I do understand how you feel, am thinking of you.love yaps

Betty,
I'll add you to my prayers.
I hate that you're dealing with these type "possibilities".
The worry is as bad as any disease process.
I'm glad writing it down helped; just keep writing.
Hugs,
Mary

Betty,
I know how worried you must be - I have gone through the breast scares too- one lump in each breast on the first mammogram I ever had in my 40's. Went through two lumpectomies to biopsy them and they were benign. :) Hoping for all good results for you and not too many days of waiting for those results- that's the worse! You are in my prayers.

Hi Betty

WOW, girl, when you get hit, you get hit hard!!!! I'm so sorry to hear of everything that has been happening to you. I wish for you the best and will put you in my prayers as of now.

I've been through the lump scene===no fun, but probably 90% ok....The important thing is that you get it checked out. I know, I'm going back in August for my 6mo. repeat mamo.

Please remember Nancy's words.....NEVER GIVE IN AND NEVER GIVE UP!!! I know you will not be feeling so overwhelmed soon.

Patience and persistence.

Evelyn

Oh, Betty, I am so sorry to hear this. Most of us have stuff to deal with but right now you have STUFF to deal with. We can only pray that all will turn out well and you will be quickly back where you were dealing with only the little stuff. You have had quite enough and now all this. You are in my daily prayers. God bless.

Sorry to hear about all the things you are dealing with. I will be sending some prayers your way. Hopefully, everything turns out to be "nothing".

Keeping you in my thoughts

Michelle

One thing after another

One thing after another

bvdr said:
I probably shouldn't even post this but maybe I'll feel better just putting it into words. I am feeling a little emotional today because not only am I tired with dealing with a painful shoulder but I have been referred to yet another doctor and I don't think the week is over yet.

Several weeks ago I took a really hard fall and injured my left shoulder. I went to the ER, followed up with my family doctor and my orthopedic doctor a couple of times. Last week I had 2 arthrograms and 2 MRIs. The second set was done because the quality of the first one was questioned. Tomorrow I get the results. I am so hoping that no surgery is indicated but I do want it to get better.

So, I've had this constant pain in my shoulder and yet what has weighed more heavily on my mind is the discovery of a breast lump. I've talked to my Gyn doc about this and I see him tomorrow. It will probably be fine...most lumps are but it needs to get checked.

That brings me to today. I faithfully get my dental check-ups and cleanings every 6 months and today was my routine visit. My hygienist mentions that for the first time she notices the slightest bit of puffiness in my gums. I told her that I haven't flossed very much in the last few weeks because lifting my arm has been so painful. No problem. Then she asks me how long this reddened area on the hard palate of my mouth has been present. I told her I didn't even know I had such an area. Next thing I know my dentist is in looking at it and I have to see an oral surgeon for consultation. My dentist said it is probably nothing but it has the appearance of early squamous cell cancer. My history of SCC of my upper lip makes me high risk so he doesn't want to observe it for changes. My appointment is July 6 and I am really hoping it is just plain gone by then and I can cancel it. I've got photographs so I can watch for improvement.

It has helped to write this out and it doesn't seem so bad after all. Everything is complicated by having a mechanical valve and coumadin though. Be it surgery, biopsies, or even just the need for pre-medication makes things a bit more complicated.

I hope to soon post that no shoulder surgery is needed, the lump is benign, and the red patch on the roof of my mouth just plain disappeared! If you've got room on your prayer list pencil in my name alright?

Hey!

My stepmother fell over due to an inner ear virus and broke her shoulder. The ortho doc didn't recommend surgery/treatment either. They just splinted her for a few weeks and then she had PT. It was uncomfortable but it worked. You can buy a handy gadget by Oral B, I think, that will let you floss one- handed. The red place will go away.......but look into it. I just sounds like you have a very cautious, very good dentist. Last but not least, ANY kind of lump is taken oh so VERY seriously these days. I had a questionable area a year ago that was watched closely and three months later it turned out to be mastitis (sp?). Went on antibiotics and all went away. HA! Idiot here thought she had inflamatory breast cancer and it was just a swollen blocked duct. There are always other rational explainations for our ailments but I know it's hard to think of them when you're in the middle of it all. By all means, my comments are not to minimize or ridicule your concerns at all. I just hope to give a little comfort of a different view. :) You're on my prayer list too.

Betty,

Betty,

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I know you and how optimistic you are and how much faith you have. One of the best bits of advice I was given from someone on this board was "be brave" and those words are very profound for me. I am always thinking of that advice.

I hope that you will "be brave" Betty and get through this with flying colors!

Christina L.

Wow, Betty! To paraphrase a tired old cliche', if you weren't worried, you might not fully understand the situation. Rest assured I'll be thinking about you, and looking for your updates as you check these off.

Your friend,

Johnny

Way too much at one time. Even God must wonder what she was thinking. :confused:

I will pray for you and I am sure all will be resolved and in a positive manner (and I don't mean positive in the way of test diagnosis).

WOW Your plate is FULL!

WOW Your plate is FULL!

I will certainly include you in my prayers, but I can't imagine the stress of having all these things to deal with and worry about at the same time. I'm sorry. I hope all the diagnsotics are negative and you don't have to deal with any more drs. for a long while.

Kristi
MR

Betty your not allowed to fall apart on me now. I've been relying on you to keep me going! I don't know what to say besides big hugs from me too. I could fumble my way around, but the things have worked out for me lately, I have no reason to try and offer anything other then that.

Gosh, Sis. I'm sorry to hear you're going through all this. I get to disliking the little men in the antispetic-smelling rooms, too. Sometimes it just seems like you spend all your time waiting for them, or listening to them describe the many unpleaant things they think you should have done to yourself.

This hasn't been your week at all. It gets to be hard to deal with. I really feel for you. How could you not wonder?

I suggest alcohol for that mouth problem. It is readily available in special stores, and is labelled as Absolut, Bacardi, Jack Daniels, or similar. It is best mixed with something sweet like fruit juice, and is taken orally from a large glass, while seated in a comfortable position with your feet up.

Get through it, Sis, and feel better. I'll be thinking of you.

Very best wishes,

Thanks everyone! You all have a way of making me feel better already. In my heart (which is working very well these days :) ) I too think everything is probably a big to do about nothing. Even my shoulder is feeling a bit better....keep praying, I think this is working! Love you all! :)

All in ome go!!

All in ome go!!

Hi Betty, I've already added you to my list. So sorry to hear that you're going through all that, but I'm sure that within a few days it will all be behind you! Take care.
Débora

Latest posts

Back