Some Questions for the Ladies

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adpace

So what are you doing about a bra post-op? I had my husband go buy some sports bras that are a little on the big side. I didn't want them too tight so that it was messing with the incision. But, they really don't provide enough support - normally I prefer an underwire. It's a catch 22. If I have a bra that's supportive enough, I think it is going to rub the incision a lot. But on the other hand, the weight of my chest is probably not good either and is probably why I'm hunched over. So I'm curious how others are handling this?

Also, I'm a little concerned about TOM as well. Of course it would start early while I was in the hospital. They got me the big granny panties from the maternity ward with some dinosaur sized pads! lol But after a day of wearing them, the incision in my groin was killing me (they tried a minimally invasive surgery first, thus a large incision there, as well). I didn't even realize the incision was there at first, but once I started wearing all of that goodness, it started burning and my thigh just below the incision is numb. I don't see any signs of infection (neither did the nurses), but it still burns from time to time as I imagine the underwear/pads are irritating. I typically wear a cup which would help with the pad irritation, but I'm not sure I could get it in right now given the pain it takes to bend that direction. So. . . again, just looking to see if anyone else is having these problems and if you had any solutions. I can't decide how it will really feel when I have to wear real clothes rubbing against that incision all the time. :( Maybe it will be better by then.

I would definitely recommend wearing a bra. It depends on your size, but even though I did wear a bra from 3 days on after the surgery my incision changed because of the weight of my breasts. I wore a sports bra without underwire, they told me I was not allowed to wear an underwired bra for about 6 to 8 weeks. Also the doctors from week told me to wear a bra. I also wore one that was a little bigger then normal, which was a good decision. Because of all the fluids I was bigger then normal, so a size bigger is a good idea!.

I've been wearing this sports bra, but I sure hope I can wear an under wire before returning to work. I feel like I'm sagging big time.

Also, good to hear I'm not the only one who is bigger because of fluids. When did that start to resolve for you? I've lost a little of it, but I'm definitely still bigger than normal. Hoping I can fit into clothes again in the near future!

I didn't have any restrictions on what type of bra to wear. One of the doctors suggested that a sports bra might be the most comfortable route to go. But I was able to go straight back to wearing my regular bras. The drain tube incisions were low enough that my bra rested above them. At times the bra got a little uncomfortable, but it was still better than going without one.

The bigger because of the fluids thing lasted a few weeks. Most of the fluids went away in the first two weeks, but there was still some left that stayed for about 4 to 5 weeks I think.

I am not due for surgery for a few weeks but I am planning ahead. As for TOM, since I will be on Coumadin after my surgery, I am having an endo ablation done this Friday to ease up the flow. I am lucky that I am an A cup and can waer a just a tank top with a shelf bra for support. I was also thinking of wearing my bikini top with the ties in the front.

Blue Sue;n847901 said:
I am not due for surgery for a few weeks but I am planning ahead. As for TOM, since I will be on Coumadin after my surgery, I am having an endo ablation done this Friday to ease up the flow. I am lucky that I am an A cup and can waer a just a tank top with a shelf bra for support. I was also thinking of wearing my bikini top with the ties in the front.
Blue Sue, I think your decision to have the endo ablation done before replacement is a smart one. Best wishes going forward. Mary

If you're still in the hospital or will be, ask for a surgical bra (or a few, so you can take them home and rotate them out to clean). The ones at CLeveland Clinic velcroed down the front and the tops of straps. Not sexy but gave good support that could be changed as swelling went down. I wore mine 24/7 and they made a huge difference in chest muscle pain. The velcro down the middle did bug my scar for a couple weeks initial postop. I placed a soft pad between the velcro and my chest, used one of those ultra soft bed footies they sell in the winter. Out the bra on and then pushed the sock down inside for cushion. I did want a break now and then so also made a nest of pillows. I out one along each side, very close to chest to keep my assets from going to the side and pulling down. ..... I can't speak to the TOM issue as I had a hysterectomy a few years ago, very glad I've not got that to deal with while on Coumadin. BEST of luck to those in waiting and WELL WISHES for those in recovery! I'm almost 5 months out and FINALLY feeling like my old self and mostly up to full daily routine. Linda

I woke up with a surgical bra on, and wore it for 5 days straight. Watch out for binding & rolling of the elastic. I didn't feel anything, but ended up with a very angry red mark under my arm. Once I was home, I wore snug sport bras or very snug tank tops. It's not like you'll be out and about so much in the first few weeks. I'm 7 months post op and still have occasional discomfort with underwire. Good posture is so important!

TOM - I could find no good information about this prior to my surgery - most info seems to be written for men and post-meno women. I *WISH* I had known about ablation! If you still have a few months or so before your surgery, talk to your doctor and do your research. If there's no time, well, prepare for a change. You *will* bleed in the hospital. I track my cycle religiously, and unfortunately I was due the day before surgery. The only person who seemed to mind (besides my embarrassed self) was a young male nurse. I stopped bleeding about 5 days after surgery. Then I went 41 days without a cycle. On the plus side, none of my hair grew (no shaving!) and my nails didn't grow (my manicure looked fabulous for about 5 weeks!) Then she returned with a vengeance. i was terrified. I was horrified. I thought Norman Bates was lurking. The flow was heavier than anything I have ever experienced. I was going through a Super Plus tampon in 2 hours! And I was passing enormous bloodclots - pancake sized maybe? This went on for three cycles. Finally the clots got smaller, but I still had to double up overnight about 3 nights a month. I'm down to having to double one night a month, but my cycle is back to normal (a lovely 23-day short cycle, thankyouverymuch Mother Nature) with the occasional pea sized clot.

I don't think the clots are related to warfarin/anti-coag, I think it is a result of the surgical shock. (But I'm not a doctor.) My hair is growing again, my manicures don't last as long, and my cramps are significantly less than pre-op.

I had my 6 month check up with my cardiologist last month, and expressed frustration with the lack of information on this topic. Being a youngish man, he blushed a little and said, "Oh. I should have mentioned that."

I'm more than happy to share my female experience with anyone who wants to hear them.

:)
-Meredith

I'm really curious now, because I didn't have a "shocking" surgery to contend with - the balloon is easy - but my cycle still was much much heavier after being put on 325 mg aspirin daily and stayed that way for a couple years before I had the ablation (best thing ever). It was very disabling like you describe Mrs. Bray. I could not even get through an hour without a change and became anemic. Because I was already weirdly weighing my kids' diapers per doctor's instructions (the joys of preemies), I measured my flow using the same methods and it was 10 oz of blood loss every 23 days! Doing an ablation preemptively, provided that you are not wanting more children, sounds like good timing. Since the aspirin is also a blood thinner, and since my heavier flow didn't go away, I wonder if coumadin does play a role in addition to the shock of surgery.

Thanks for all the info! I had no idea just aspirin would cause more bleeding for tom. Guess I should have figured as much. I highly recommend a cup if you are having to "double up". It could help you be so much more comfortable. Actually, I recommend them in any situation. It has been a life changer for me! Plus you can easily measure flow with them if that's still a need.

Curious now if any of you had mid cycle bleeding. My period showed up early after the surgery but was very light. Then it went away and about a week later I've had blood after urinating when I wipe. My mom wanted me to call the doctor about it, but I'm thinking it might just be my cycle is all messed up from this surgery. I can't imagine it's anything major. It stopped after a couple of days as well.

Well, you have me nervous about my first "real" post - surgery period now. I'm glad to know to expect it, though. I imagine it was terrifying to not know beforehand that would happen. I'm hoping my essential oils can line it out some!

As far as bras, I felt good enough to head to walmart after rehab a few days ago. I tried on quite a few sports bras and found some that are more comfortable. It's helping some. I wish I had had a heads up about that before the surgery. Guess it's not something a male surgeon or cardiologist thinks to mention.

One other possibility to consider is yeast infection? I get spotting from those now and also from the treatments for them, I guess everything is just more sensitive to bleed.

I did try the cup, that was how I got my best measurement for the flow volume . . . t wasn't so awesome when you have to empty it every half hour. ; ) I should have taken a photo of the big tumbler I collected (sorry for the visual). They didn't really believe me how much it was. According to the Internet it's supposed to be 3 - 5 T for most of us and "heavy" is 6-10 T total. I'm thinkin' not even close, people. But it sounds like that's far from universal so it could just be how my body responded.

I'm sorry - that does not sound fun at all. Glad that the ablation helped you. I don't know if it's the same thing, but I actually had a cryo done on my uterine lining some years ago due to endometriosis. I still have longer than average periods even with that, so I hope daily aspirin doesn't make things worse. We shall see. .

Hi all, thought I would chime in here because TOM was a major concern of mine when choosing tissue or mechanical valve. I had heard both that the surgery would cause menstrual cycle to come even off schedule and that monthly bleeding would increase. Two things made my decision easier for mechanical. One was the information here on ablation, I could consider this if the warfarin caused an increase in bleeding. The second was a talk with a female anaethestiologist in my pre surgical clinic who said typically menstrual flow was predominantly tissue and not blood and that warfarin should not actually increase bleeding.

Going into surgery I was due to ovulate the day before surgery. I had no menstrual bleeding immediately after surgery or during the hospital stay. My period came maybe two days later than schedule two weeks after surgery. And even with an INR of 3-3.4 during my period, my period was typical for me. I know things can still change for me and everyone will experience different things but I wanted to let others know that the surgery will not necessarily bring on menstrual bleeding and that warfarin doesn't necessarily increase menstrual bleeding.

As for a bra, I wore an underwire sports bra with an extender (adds 3 sets of loops to increase the band diameter) starting on day 2 after surgery and it was a relief. After the bandages were removed, I used some gauze to cushion the area under the wire, but eventually gave that up and stopped using the extender.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I too am heartened by the possibility of uterine ablation if things become unbearable in that department post-surgery. I already have a terrible time with hormones, and use acupuncture to battle migraines during ovulation, and heating pads to get through TERRIBLE cramps (Dysmenorrhea). Thankfully my flow isn't overly heavy or I think I would have just ripped it all out by now. I am really hoping not to get Aunt Flow during my hospital stay as that would really add insult to injury. But hey, I guess that should be the least of my worries.

Have any ladies used the Incision Shield? Wondering if it's worth trying to get, if it would be possible to wear a bra over top.

Back