soldering post surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattwisconsin

Green Bay, WI, Columbus, OH, and Chicago, IL.
So this is a question that i have been thinking about lately. Since I will be unable to do regular work. I was wondering if I would be able to do some of the soldering projects that have been stacking up at my house. I work outside so I am assuming that I won't be able to work for 8 weeks if not more, but what would the appropriate amount of time for soldering electronics?

Interested in people's ideas.

I assume we're talking about small eletronics, soldering wires and such. I don't see why you couldn't as it's not heavy work and I assume you can do it sitting at a table (i.e. not stretching up or crouching low).

For the first few weeks you will likely feel too rotten to consider it. After that time, start playing with the electronic toys, but don't lift anything heavy. At around 3-4 weeks I finally had time (and energy) and restored an old stereo system...but had the kids handle the heavy work.

I think it would be OK. I have been thinking of building some models I have laying around, but just have not had the energy to do it yet!

I was thinking about the same thing. What i'm I gonna do for 2 months. I will be organizing all of our photos. It's something I have been wanting to do for years now but with 5 kids don't really have the time to do.

I would wait until you are off pain meds before handling hot irons ;):Dbut there should be no other reason you couldn't solder.

Small electronics you should be able to after a few weeks. You should however watch what positions you do it in. You do not want to put strain on your sternum, or core muscle group. I hope you the best of luck.

For the first 3 weeks or so I just laid around and did nothing! I enjoyed it too. Week 4 I was doing some vinyl graphic work and welded a trailer hitch on a jeep. It does take a while to get the stamina back. Soldering electronics shouldnt be a big deal after a few weeks but everyone is different with respect to how quickly they recover.

Good Lick
Mikeb

I agree with the advice to not work with hot soldering materials until you are off all narcortics/pain medications other than perhaps tylenol.

I'm going to be devoting my time here pretty soon to cardiac rehab (3 times per week), but hope to do some small things around the house such as organizing, cleaning out closets and drawers, etc.

We still have so much left to do with hurricane damage, but I'm beginning to think we will still have it left to do when the next season rolls around.

Hubby is still trying to get the fence up and finish our flooring.

Contractor bailed out on us, so we are doing it all now!

I hope you find some things that will keep you busy and occupied.

Like the others said....first few weeks you won't feel real good so take it easy.....listen to your body.

Matt,

Got a feeling you won't be in the mood to do much of anything for several months. I know I did a lot of day time napping for quite awhile. My surgry was late Jan 2007. It took me awhile to get back into doing what I like to do which is building models. I think the bug hit me in May 2007 saying that I needed to get back to my hobby. I did with vengence and ended up with this several months later:

http://www.prrmodels.com/3958.jpg

Sure did take my mind off of the adventure of heart surgery.

When I read the title of your post, I thought you were going to say was it "safe" to solder due to the electrical waves or etc involved. I wonderd about being able to weld again (high magnetic, electronic waves) and the techs from St Jude said there would be no problem in the future. Good luck in your hobbies.....Gary

Unless your hands are trembling and going to cause you to short circuits with the solder, solder away my friend!

When I saw the title of this thread the first thought I had was, "Oh, no, soldering copper pipe - no way..." Thinking of course about being in tight quarters or overhead with the propane tank... So, electronics is a better idea. The only other thing I would say is that a number of us had some weird vision problems for a while after surgery. I really had trouble focusing my eyes.

Latest posts

Back