Soccer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam

I had my surgery on June 12th, AVR with porcine valve. My surgeon felt I should be back to playing this fall season. I play in an over 50s league so the contact is minimal.. The speed with which I get SOB makes that seem like an unreachable goal. So plan to work with cardiac rehab in a week or two

I'd see how the work with the cardiac rehab goes and how you're feeling. I would also take daily walks starting now and increase the distance daily. I'm mostly a runner and was told I could get back to my normal activities in about 6 weeks. Seven weeks post-op I ran/walked a very hilly 5K in 39 minutes. Four months post I ran a 5k without walking and six months after a 1/2 marathon. We're all different so you just need to see where your level of fitness is and most definitely, listen to your body. Good luck in your recovery.

I agree with my buddy Kodi...keep working at it, listen to your body. Your fitness will not increase in a linear fashion but in jumps, then stagnate, then jumps.

You're only two weeks out of surgery and concerned about SOB? Don't be! You're possibly a bit anemic on top of recently cut open, it will all come together soon. In another two weeks I bet you'll be feeling great!

12 weeks after my first surgery (which was near-emergent due to Class IV heart failure - you wanna talk about SOB?) I was back doing dog agility. Not well, but taking classes. In 5 months, we were back in the ring. At first, I could not keep up with my slow dog but we finished the courses. Remember dearie, I was close to death for that surgery.
After my 2nd surgery (valves #2 and #3), which took place when I was in much better condition, I was back running my FAST dog at 12 weeks. Granted, we had to work on teamwork again, but that came back quickly enough. Of course, I never COULD keep up with the fast dog!

I assume you were in pretty good shape going into surgery and getting back into playing shape should be no problem.
BUT, there is no schedule that you can follow. Take it one day at a time. Increase your duration of exercise first then intensity. As I got back into shape I noticed a huge discrepancy between the level of perceived exertion of my respiratory system vs my muscles. I stil haven't come to terms with it. (Having been split open 3 times within 6 weeks might have something to do with it.) I never did the cardio rehab thing. I'm sure it can't hurt. But the Internet forum consensus among athletes with AVR is that a cardio rehab program is very conservative and unnecessary. Most Cardiologists consider OHS a success if you can walk for 30 minutes and climb a flight of stairs. They are the ones that created the program. Listen to your body. Rest. Heal. Don't be in a hurry to push it. AND try not to get discouraged.

I believe in Cardiac Rehab... at least for a few days. If you are in shape, it will seem very conservative. The important thing is to get hooked up and see that everything is working correctly. I went 5 times, had PVCs, got approval from my Cardio and started going to spin classes.

I find SOB to hit more when I am doing different exercises than I typically do. I rode my bicycle 32 miles yesterday and really did not experience it, even at the top of a big hill. However, I helped a friend move and after carrying a heavy chest of drawers I had SOB.

As for timing, it is still early for you. Have a little patience and work up to it. Rehab is different for all of us.

Stay Well
Scott

Back