Sluggish Heart?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryj

My husband just called me with the results of his echo from last week. He had his AVR eight years ago. The doctor said the valve is working fine with trace leakage but the heart was sluggish. He has scheduled him for the 2 part treadmill test in 2 weeks. Has anyone been told they have a sluggish heart? I know we have not been eating,sleeping or exercising since the death of our son. Can this be the cause? I am so worried right now. We have so much going on personally and can't handle too much more. God may not give you more than you can handle but he or she is heaping it on us right now.

Sorry Terry, I can't say that I have heard that term before. But I shall pray that it doesn't mean anything serious. You guys have been through so much. I will pray that God gives you both strength to face each day.:)

I think it could be. Not eating well or getting adequate sleep will not give the body (including the heart) the nutrients and recovery it needs to function properly. And the emotional stress :(... no wonder. When I think about it, is a stress test under these conditions really a good idea?

I really wish you both a break! Plenty of rest and a nutritious a diet could do the trick for the heart (and the rest of the body).

I wonder if they mean bradycardia, or slow heart rate, caused by scar tissue from the surgery? It will make one feel very tired, and depressed, without the external stresses you've had. The treatement for bradycardia is frequently (usually) a pacemaker. Or a reduction in the beta blockers and other drugs, if that is feasible.

Good point! I was more thinking slugglish like in weak/slow muscle function. I know that at least extreme starvation, like in anorexia, can also be a cause of bradycardia.

That's interesting. I just had my valve replacement on 1 Feb 2010 and recently had an Echo. The doc called me and said that my heart muscle is a bit "sluggish" but that this is common after aortic valve replacement surgery. He wants me to come in for a stress test. I'll keep you posted.

--Jason

editted to add I just realized the orgional post was from last October,(after I posted my answer) hopefully you already have your answers about your husband

When I googled Sluggish heart, it seem like dpepression can affect the heart function and make it sluggish (of course there are also studies saying there is no effect) since it seems to be a new finding years after his surgery, but when you are going thru the worst thing a parent can go thru, I wonder if depression is a factor http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/45/2/129.pdf

This article is about heart attack patients,(NOT valve patients) but was the first thing I read linking depression to low HVR http://www.nurses.com/article.mvc/Sluggish-heart-responses-may-tie-depression-t-0001?VNETCOOKIE=NO Sluggish heart responses may tie depression to heart attack deaths
October 29, 2001

..HRV measures cardiac autonomic function, which includes the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. These help control blood vessel size, blood pressure, the heart's electrical activity and its ability to contract...

A couple of the articles say, treating the depression may increase heart function, IF it is related to depression, but Honestly I just posted about these incase you might want to ask his doctors if they think depression might be playing a role in him and if so any recomendations.

Last edited:
We do not have an answer yet. We decided to wait until his next cardio visit to address this. It has been nearly seven months since our son died and we will never get over it but we are learning to live with it and are grateful he died doing something he enjoyed and was having a good time on the lake with his family. We are also trying to enjoy our lives more. I have learned that a spotless house is not the most important thing in the world and that enjoying life to the fullest is. I will let you all know more about the sluggish heart after my husbands next cardio visit. He is feeling fine except I notice he tends to fall asleep on the couch at night more often but he is getting older(60) LOL I am only 59

Back