Sleepless post-op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimv

Hey everyone - quick question...I am 6 days post-op last night was my second night home from the hospital and I didn't sleep at all. It wasn't because I was in pain or uncomfortable. I just wasn't tired...also whenever I tried to rest all I could feel was my heart beating...not necessarily fast but strong if that makes sense. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this...
Thanks Kim

Re: Sleepless post-op

I had several nights like that shortly after leaving the hospital. In another week I was sleeping like a log. I have the strong heartbeat sensation as well. My surgeon said it's normal so I decided to ignore it.

This is so usual for most of us.
Almost all of us suffer sleeplessness in the early days of healing. I went for a long time my first surgery before
I returned to my usual sleep pattern. Second surgery was not nearly as bad for some reason but I rarely got more than 3 hours sleep at a time during the night. I just learned to roll with it and ultimately it resolved itself. You may wish to ask your doctor for a sleep aid if you find it is extreme.

Hope your recovery is otherwise going well. :)

Kim,
You tend to rest through out the day so it is to be expected that your days and nights get mixed up. Once you get up and start walking/eating on a regular basis, you will start sleeping better at night.At least that is what I remember.
The one thing I still remember vividly was how blocked up my digestive system got due to a lack of exercise.
Best

I had sleepless nights before surgery and had a hard time after. It takes time for the body to adjust and just be patient with the body, it knows when it needs its rest. Just do not overdo anything for a little while, follow doctor's orders and you will be fine. It is also great that your heart is in a healthy rythum. Take care and hugs for today. :)

I spent 15 days recently in the hospital and had problems sleeping. I asked for extra strength tylenol PM, was given Benadryl tab & extra strength tylenol tab. Next night I just asked for the Benadryl.
Not everyone can tolerate Benadryl, but it sure helped for me.

I've been home since July 3 and I'm still having trouble sleeping, with sense of taste, etc. -- not unlike what I went through with my MVR.

I, too, had badly disrupted sleep patterns post op - for a number of weeks. Mostly I just tolerated it, because I knew that I could nap during the day if I wanted. As I got back to more of a usual routine, trying to be awake and active during the day, I used benadryl to help me sleep through the night.

I could not sleep well for about 3 to 4 weeks after the operation. For the first week, I probably never slept more than 2-3 hours at a time. I never had this with any other operation. Personally, I think your subconcious is really nervous due to the fact they stop your heart and lungs for this surgery. It keeps you up until it feels "comfortable" again letting you sleep.

Don't worry, normal sleep will come. Take your pain meds so pain won't keep you up.

...also whenever I tried to rest all I could feel was my heart beating...not necessarily fast but strong if that makes sense. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this...
Thanks Kim

It makes sense to me. Hard to describe to others. My Cardiologist looks at me like I'm crazy when I try to describe it. He says that I'm thin, so I hear it more. I'm going on 2 years and my heart is LOUD and THUMPING. I can't ignore it always. When I try to relax and breath slowly and deeply, the beat ever-so-lightly interrupts my breath. The new Normal. Sleeping sucked for a long time for me. I couldn't wait for morning and checked the clock often. Manage your pain and get in plenty of naps. I repeat: This is normal for us.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling your heart beating and it's normal. I recently saw my GP and after listening to my heart she said that it was loud. What the surgeon's assistant told me is that they cut open the pericardial sac, but they don't close it. Over time scar tissue will form essentially closing it up. So prior to surgery your heart was inside a protective sac, and now not as much. I was told it goes away after a couple months, but I am 2 months post-op and it's strong as ever. I recently saw a post from someone that said it went away after 10 months.

My surgery was way back on 6/5/2013, and my sleeping still has not returned to normal yet and consequently, I do cat naps a lot without too much effort.

I am almost 9 weeks post op from OHS. I couldn't sleep more than a couple of hours a night until 3 weeks post op. I then would go 4 or 5 hours. Now I am sleeping on my stomach (my preferred sleeping position) and sleeping 6 or more hours a night. 6 hours is perfect for me. Never been a good sleeper anyway. Give it a little time. We are all different. It is funny, I hear and feel my heart beating. I don't hear a tick tick noise, but it doesn't bother me because years before my surgery, my heart was working so hard I could hear the beat then and got use to it. Now I just look at it, I AM ALIVE!
Good luck resolving your sleep, heart beat issues.

Glad to read this. I came on this forum searching for other post op who are suffering from predominant heart beats. I feel it usually when I take a deep breath. Shallow I don't even feel it. I, like another user mentioned, have tried to explain this to my cardiologist and he just kind of looks at me funny. It's just a restless feeling.

Back