Sitting in the E.R.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc_kowal

The last two days I've been having bouts of light-headedness and dizzines. I also have had a nagging cough for about a week. Since I couldn't get into see my primary until Thursday to rule out sinus infection, or this being alergy related, here I sit in the emergency room. Hopefully it's nothing cardiac related, but I just hate the whole dizziness thing.

So the ER did blood work and an EKG and that all came back normal, although my INR was 2.28 (target is 2.5 - 3.5) which was kind of weird since I had just home tested last Thursday and it was 3.1. They are attributing the symptoms ( dry cough, light-headedness/ dizziness) to perhaps a minor infection, so they put me on a 5 day course of anti-bitotics. I still feel crappy and it bothers me. I already had a 6 month check scheduled with my cardio for next Tuesday. I'm calling his office to see if they want to try and get an echo done before that.

I still have the high b.p. that is somewhat controlled with a low dose of Lisinopril, and an elevated heart rate that is somewhat controlled by atenolol. All these things went higher then my normal about 2 months after surgery. My doc told me this stuff is the body's way of reacting to the surgery and should go back to normal. Question I keep wondering is, how long before we say something is not right. Sometimes I get worried when I'm driving my kids or being left alone with the youngest one, that something is going to happen. I'm supposed to go to Solon, Ohio in two weeks for work, and now that's worrying me because I won't have any car access there.

Sorry for ranting. Gonna go in the corner and assume the fetal postition now and wish for happy days again.

I'm glad you went to ER to get it checked out, always better to be safe than sorry. Can I ask.. Why is your INR target 2.5-3.5 with a mech aortic valve, especially at such a young age. I thought the standard was 2-3.

Marc - I hope you are feeling better soon.

As an aside, I was told to aim for an INR of 3-4 when I was discharged from hospital. My anticoag clinic disagreed and changed it to 2.5-3.5.

@markp66- I'm assuming my tartget range was given because of the mechanical valve and repair that was done. Never really thought of questioning the surgeon about it. I assume people have different ranges depending on what was done.

Back