signed up for a bike ride

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbie

Hey everyone, well I'm trying to get back to life so I thought I should sign up for a ride. As some of you know my dad died alittle over 2 weeks ago and I'm very upset about it, I want to just hide in the house, but I can't, I know I need to get moving again. I know getting on my bike again won't take away the sadness, but it will help to get some nice fresh air!
I have'nt rode for about a month now, I'm going to see how out of shape I am with a ride tonight:rolleyes: The ride I signed up for is in 3 weeks and it has lots of hills, so I can challenge myself. The web site if you want to check it out is www.avenueoftheoaks.com. The best part of the ride will be a Hawaiian B'Que and beer garden at one of our best parks in the area :)
I wish I had a VR member to ride with , any out there??? Thanks Debbie :)

This is between you and me only:D...I would have loved to join you, but I never rode a bike!!:eek::eek:

We have two bikes in the garage and one day :rolleyes: ;)

If you want to practice for a long ride, come and visit!:)

Debbie, sorry about your dad. I must have missed the post. Time heals and memories become more cherished.
Bad timing on the ride. That's the same day as our local 1/2 marathon, which I will be running.
Good luck in the training. You can do it..are you planning the metric 1/2 century? You know that's only 31 miles and you know you can do 25.

Kodi, I'd love to do the 1/2 century but there are alot of hills and the total climb in elevation is 3,200 ft. , way to much for me :D I will stick to the 15 mile ride with a 1,000 ft. climb. Thanks Debbie :)

Debbie, good luck and please enjoy the ride! I always found a good workout helps clear the brain and put things in perspective....

Kodi, I'd love to do the 1/2 century but there are alot of hills and the total climb in elevation is 3,200 ft. , way to much for me :D I will stick to the 15 mile ride with a 1,000 ft. climb. Thanks Debbie :)

i'd guess you'd have no trouble with the half century.
3200' is nothing really. but what's the breakdown? how long and steep
are the hills? 100' elevation over 100' distance is
a big difference from 100' over 1000'. just looking at the overall number,
you've got 100' of climbing every mile. doesn't sound like much at all.
if you've got a hybrid type bike with 18+ gears, you can just downshift
to granny gears and spin to the top. and they have sag wagons, right?

oh, found the profile here:
http://www.avenueoftheoaks.com/files/Metric_Half_Century_Elevation.pdf
the only long haul climb is from mile 12-16.....900' climb over 4 miles.
900 sounds like a lot, but you're only climbing 225' every mile....that's
what? like a 12-story building?

Dear chou, thanks for the info. I did'nt know I could find out all that info on the site, that is cool. I think for now I'll stick to the shorter ride, I want to have fun and not stress about doing the longer one. Hey, I just noticed you had your surgery 10 weeks ago, are you back on your bike yet???
Take care Debbie :)

Debbie,

I'm very sorry to hear about your dad. It truly hurts to lose a loved one. Riding should help. Good luck with Avenue of the Oaks. Pssssst, by the way, I've seen some of your "throwdown" mileage you can go for more than 15, even with the hills. Train hard for the next 2 weeks. Increase your mileage gradually and do more hills. Only do one day of hills the 3rd week and the last part of the week, do some easier but longish rides.....or not. Either way, have fun doing it and training for it!

Thank you Jeff for your thoughtfulness, I know this sadness will be around for quite awhile, I lost my mom 2 years ago and it just plane SUCKS!!

I guess i can do the longer ride, out at Palm Springs last month I did my first 25 mile ride and i had no problem. I came to the last rest stop on the ride and saw there was only 4 miles left and I was kinda bummed because i wanted to ride more, i was just getting into the ride at 20 miles, it was fun!

Only 2 weeks till the ride, I'll see how I feel, I can change my mind at the last min. and do the longer one, or at least try it. Did you look up the site and see how pretty the ride is?? I'm looking forward to a beautiful day with lots of sunshine that Hawaiian B-que and beer garden at the end :D Take care Debbie :)

Hey, I just noticed you had your surgery 10 weeks ago, are you back on your bike yet???

day before yesterday rode out to the dam and then on to the sugar factory,
total distance around 40 miles. didn't realize until i got there there that it
was uphill all the way. i was on the old road that switch-backed up the hill,
sorta parallel to the new high-speed freeway. from an overpass at the
top, noticed truck crawl lanes on both sides. i was on my mtb, no trouble
with the potholes and generally poor road surface.

are you wearing a heart-rate monitor? i found that when climbing hills, if
i gearded down to the big cogs heart rate would not go up appreciably.

Yes, I do wear a heart rate moniter, not as much as I should but I will if I start doing hills. Cardio says don't go over 150 bpm and I'm fine with that.
How much did you ride pre-surgery?? Debbie :)

Decided yesterday to drive the bike route to see how bad the hills were, and now I'm regretting it!! The bike ride is ALL hills, no flats at all :eek:
One thing that is good -- what goes up must come down :D:D
Debbie :)

Debbie,
I'm sorry for the loss of your father. I know how losing the second parent makes it so much harder. My mother seemed to keep my fathers spirit alive. When she was gone it was like losing them both.
My husband and I are cyclist. We haven't been on the bike (when I go along it's a tandem) since Dec 1st because of his Afib and high BP. The doctor just gave him permission to start back, as his BP is finally down some with the use of 4 meds. That means starting all over, so we will be sticking to the flats for a while. Our area in Florida does have hills. There are two rides that surprise people from the north. The Horrible hundred and the Hilly Hundred. Good luck on the ride and just plan to have fun.

Hey everyone, had my ride today and it was alittle harded than expected!
Lots of hills, lots!! It was fun , but my heart did not want to corroprate today so I had to stop several times to get my heart rate down. I was the very last one the ride, really, because I kept stopping to get my rate under 150. I think I forgot to take my meds last night, it sure makes a differance. Anyway, I tryed, I had fun, that's all that matters!!! Debbie :)

Good for you and congratulations on the finish. Which one did you end up doing, long or short? You are out there trying and accomplishing a lot so don't feel too bad about the last. Sometimes the last place finishers get the biggest cheers.

because I kept stopping to get my rate under 150. I ....I had fun, that's all that matters!!! Debbie :)

congrats on finishing. now the questions. what kind of bike were you on,
and what type of gearing did it have? were you going at your own pace,
or were you trying to keep up with the pack?

Congrats! Our progress is certainly not a straight line, but has some ups and downs...but progress is progress!:)

Hey Debbie,

Great effort on the bike ride. You did it and you were smart about protecting your safety. You will no doubt have more confidence on the next one. Keep practicing and doing those hills. It's amazing how you'll keep improving.

Latest posts

Back