Side effects of hubby's GI issues

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnusgal

My husband landed himself in the hospital at the beginning of the month with a GI bleed. The EGD showed he had ulcers and esophogitis. The GI doctor put him on a "low residue" diet (sort of low fiber, but even more restrictive than that). Veggies are pretty much out, unless they are cooked to death, but we're fans of raw or lightly cooked veggies. It's been a challenge thinking of things to eat because just about everything we usually make includes something on the "no no" list.

Today it finally occurred to me that this restricted eating might have an effect on my INR (I test monthly and was perfectly in range Sept. 4, so had not tested yet). I tested and low and behold I am a "lovely" 4.7 :eek. Oops. Fortunately, we have broccoli in the freezer, so I had myself a nice bowl of that at dinner (hubby skipped it). No, I didn't change my dose. Looks like I may have to add a side of vit. K to my "low residue" meals from now on. We're hoping he won't be on this diet much longer. He has a repeat EGD on Friday. We're hoping it will be clear and we can go back to eating the way we usually do (which is actually quite healthy compared to what we're able to do right now).

inr problem

inr problem

was your husbands gi bleed cause by an inr problem?

Westie I'm convinced her family has the twin brother of the black cloud that resides over my house. They can't seem to win for losing either.

westie- my husband doesn't take coumadin. I do. So no, his GI bleed had nothing to do with his INR.

Ross- Yes, I do think we have twin black clouds. But I think yours might be the "evil" twin. ;)

Marsha- the bad thing is, Nathan loves his veggies and I feel guilty eating them when he can't! Oh, well. It must be done.

I hope not! It's really annoying. I want a salad (without feeling guilty for eating it in front of Nathan)!

LOL. I've never heard of someone sneaking salads in the middle of the night. LOL.

I think that it's wonderful for you to try to eat the same foods all the time. But I see no problem (or guilt) in having separate "side dishes" for medicinal purposes - hope it's temporary. And hope he's getting better.

He's off the weird diet!!! YEA!!! :D :D :D Now we can actually work on eating healthy again.

Latest posts

Back