Should I take a baby asprin daily?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Peachy

Hi everyone

I had my three month checkup on Thursday. Everything is ok. The Cardiologist asked if I was taking an asprin each day. I'm not as the Surgeon told me I didn't need to take anything. I'm not on any medication whatsoever. The Cardiologist said that I should be fine as I am young and fit and do plenty of exercise to keep the blood flowing. He thinks however that as an extra precaution I should take a baby asprin. I should probably take his advice but I'm not sure as the Surgeon said otherwise. Those of you who have tissue valves, do you take asprin each day?

Peachy, I don't have a tissue valve, but I was also told to take an aspirin daily just to prevent anything catching on the valve ring used to repair my mitral valve.

The baby aspirin (actually they now just manufacture it as an adult aspirin at 81 gr) is easier on your stomach, as some people develop bleeding from too much aspirin.

There were some very interesting news articles about two months ago about the lower dose aspirin being as effective as the full 325 gr aspirin for the prevention of stroke and (I can't remember now) maybe heart attack. I'll see if I can find the references. Did anyone else see those news pieces? They were pretty main stream news sources.

Hi Peachy-
I took a baby aspirin a day for about the first 6 months post op. My cardio said that was ll I needed. I see him again in July for the one year post-op check -up and he might reevaluate, but I don't know.

Right now, I am not on any heart meds.

-Mara:)

hi peachy!
joey takes ecotrin (81mg), the equivalent of a baby aspirin every day. he started taking them as soon as they took him off his post surgical motrin (about a month after surgery). he was also taking them before his surgery.
glad to hear you are doing so well.
all the best, sylvia

I was on a full-size aspirin daily immediately after surgery. When I saw my surgeon (about 6 weeks after surgery), he said that no further aspirin was required. I asked about the baby aspirin, and he said it wasn't absolutely necessary, but might be of some benefit. My cardiologist and family doctor advised taking the baby aspirin, but didn't regard it as an essential medication either.

The full-size aspirin upset my stomach, the baby aspirin has been fine. Considering all the articles about the benefits, I'm happy to keep taking it.

Alan

Hi Peachy:

I have a st. Jude's mechanical valve. I take one baby

aspirin every day. I would rather be safe than sorry!!

Take care!
:) Judy

Hi Peachy,

I have a homograph and take a baby asperin a day. No problems what so ever. Such a small thing to take for so much protection.

martha

After my porcine valve was placed in '89 my surgeon said to take a baby aspirin every other day, as that was effective enough.
After my mechanical replacement, Iwas told to take a baby aspirin daily, but by then I knew my platelet level was low, so I questioned it in the hospital before my release, and was told not to take the aspirin.
Go with what your doctor says.
Gail

I took no meds after my surgery until recently when a leak was discovered with my new valve. When I switched cardiologists in February, my new one was surprised I had not been taking any aspirin and asked me to take one a day along with the new meds he prescribed for my leak.

However, he didn't tell me whether to take 81 or 325 mg. During a subsequent visit, I reported that I was taking the 325 mg since I already had several bottles of that strength and he didn't say anything about it.

Does anyone know of any reason, other than stomach problems that I don't have, why not to take the higher dose? What are the pros and cons of a higher or lower dose of aspirin aside from GI concerns?

Thanks.

Hi Peachy,

I just got out of the hospital on Tuesday, and they have me taking one baby aspirin (81 mg) per day, to be taken until a cardiologist tells me to stop. I have the CryoLife SynerGraft aortic homograft. I asked one of the Physician Assistants about WHEN I might be told to stop - a couple months? He said if it were him, he'd take it for the rest of his life, just to be safe against clots. I can live with that!

-Jennie

Last edited:
Baby Asprin

Baby Asprin

That's the same thing my doctor told me. Syl

I left the hospital with a bottle of 81mg baby aspirin to take along with my coumadin, per instructions from my surgeon. All of my initial coumadin tests have been done with the aspirin in place, and so far I'm fairly stable.

Latest posts

Back