Should I call the Dr. about this?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylchapa

Chris is now 9 days post-op and one of his chest tube incisions has not scabbed over yet. It bleeds a little bit. Just enough to make a mark on the bandaid. It has been like this since we left the hospital but there is a bigger blood spot on the bandaid each day. 3 days ago it really opened up when his baby sister tried to plop down in his lap. It does not look infected. There is no redness or puss. He is getting a rash where the bandaid sticks to the skin. He's alerigic to the adhesive. So should I call the dr.? His f/up appt is next Wed.

If I remember mine from a year ago, it did take a little bit to completely scab over, as long as the drainage is clear and it doesn't smell. I can't remember exactly how long it took but I remember it seemed longer than I thought it would. Once I started taken the band aid off it dried up quicker.

I was told the tube wounds would seep/bleed about 10 days after coming home, but it was really about a week longer--enough to stain t-shirts I was wearing for that reason.

Cheryl, As long as it isn't turning red around it or have pus coming out of it, I would just leave it. I agree about airing it out. I would put any meds on it or anything over it. Have him wear old t-shirts that are ok to get a little blood on them. Of course, if anything changes in it's appearance, I'd call the Dr. right away.

Kim

Mine didnt heal as quick as I would have liked. Home health nurses used "safe gel" on the wound, and I dressed it daily with this. Healed within a few days. I would mention it now.

I was told to leave my incisions open to the air. I think it was about 10 days before they scabbed over completely. Every once and awhile I would stretch and one would split a little and bleed. Wear old shirts!

Latest posts

Back