Shortness of breath

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

joey

A few weeks ago I spoke about my poblem of loss of breath and unable to walk very far. I am 7 weeks post op some called it A- Fab ...heart beat tooooo fast . To day I went to see my cardiologist he is one of the best in Israel and told him this loss of breath was making my life difficult and slowing down my progress. If it was A- Fab it's gone it never showed up on the Holter I had attached to me for 48 hours.I experiance shortness of breath after walking up 10 steps or putting on my shoes or talking on the phone. The chest xray's show the lungs to be clear. The echo 100% valve working well. He disscovered that I still have too much fluid in the body and that is the root of my problem. So for the next two weeks I will have to lower my intake of Normiton and for a short period of time take a low dosage of Disothiazide to help remove the exsess of fluid. Anyone out there have something similar ?:) :) :)

Joey

Hello Joey,

You may want to do a search on Atrial Fibrilation (A-Fib) which is a rapid and irregular heart beat and Atrial Flutter which is a rapid but regular heartbeat. Both are fairly common following surgery and will hopefully go away in time. I had 3 events, one while in the hospital and 2 about 6 and 7 weeks post op, usually following exertion. None since so hopefully yours will clear up soon.

I assume one of those drugs is a diuretic. Most Doctors prescribe a potassium supplement to maintain your electrolyte levels when prescribing a diruretic so you may want to inquire about that.

My doctor recommended weighing myself every morning, preferably with no clothes or just underwear or sleep wear. Whenever there is a 3 pound gain in one day or 5 pound gain over a few days, that indicates excess fluid retention and a diuretic is called for. I take a fairly low dose (20mg) of Lasix plus a potassium supplement (10 Meq).

'AL'

Hi Joey-

My husband Joe has fluid retention from time to time and has had that for a long time. It's called congestive heart failure, which sounds a lot worse than it is in the early stages. Diuretics help get rid of the fluid and then you'll feel a whole lot better.

He also has afib and aflutter at times.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back