Shortness of Breath is Back?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraS

I'm 3 months post op now and was feeling pretty good. Two days ago, I started getting shortness of breath again even at rest and I know I have to call my doctor tomorrow morning but I am so scared of what could be causing this. I'm still in a-fib and taking Amiodarone. I know the a-fib can cause shortness of breath but it came on so suddenly. My cardio promised me he'll have me off the Amiodarone soon. My lungs were tapped twice after my surgery but this shortness of breath feels different. It's on my right side and my ribs hurt on that side also.

Because I went into v-fib the night of my surgery and they shocked me 11 times, I'm hoping he won't suggest one more shock to put me back in normal sinus. I trust my doctors totally and will do what they say to get better but that doesn't mean I won't be scared.

My surgeon asked me the day after my surgery if I was ready to ride the roller coaster for the next year. Now I know what he meant. We think we're better and overdo it but don't realize we've overdone it until we're hurting.

It can definitely be a roller coaster the first year. Hang in there and keep in close contact with your doctors. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. It does get easier with time.

My first thought was fluid, but you said this feels different, so until you talk to the doctor and get checked, you could probably drive your self nuts with all the different things that can cause SOB. I'll keep you in my prayers it is something easy.

My first thought was fluid also. Do you weigh yourself each day in the morning? Have you gained any weight suddenly? If so, that points to fluid retention, and it can usually be taken care of with diuretics.

But you are doing the right thing in getting in to see the doctor.

Of course, if you can't breathe, then unfortunately, you have to go to the ER withut fail.

Don't ignore this symptom.

Laura,

I sometimes feel like I am a little short too. Hmmm and sometimes I think its all in my mind. Are you holding fluid on your ankles or legs? Are you taking lasix? I hope you find that everything is ok! You are in my prayers as well.

Mileena

Laura,
If this is really bothering/scaring you, does your doc take phone calls through his service tonight? He may tell you to get to the ER. I hope all goes ok with you, I was short of breath pain on my right and left side went to the ER, and it turned out to be pericarditis.

Linda

Thanks all for your responses, thoughts and prayers. You're right in that we can drive ourselves crazy self-diagnosing. I haven't gained any weight and take 40 mg of lasix every other day now. My doctor has a 24 hr. service and has told me to call anytime which I'll do tonight if it gets worse. If not, I'm calling him at 9:00 am. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for being there and listening. This site has the best people with the biggest hearts - always willing to help everyone.

I am so happy tonight. Saw my cardiologist today and I'm not in a-fib anymore. I was back in normal sinus! He's sending me for an echo and chest x-ray just to be sure I don't have fluid again but he said he didn't hear anything. He said the shortness of breath could be from the amiodarone so he took me off it. That drug has so many side effects and I'm thrilled to be off it. Thanks again for all your support. I was so afraid that something was wrong with my new valve.

He told me that listening to my heart is boring now! Well, I love boring!

Great news Boring is good for sure:)

Glad your off the amiodarone i too was on it after my 2nd surgery
in Jan for mitral replacement and maze and had my a fib prior
10 years of it,so glad its gone now along with the amiodarone drug

Be happy,take care....stay boring;)

Laura,
Glad you are in better spirits and your heart is boring, and you are not on that drug anymore. Hope your tests come ok as well.
Tomorrow is my day to see they cardio..I feel slightly better, but I know it's the Percocet masking the pain...
Glad you are ok....

Linda

Laura, I'm glad you had a good appt. today. I hope your tests are clear and you stay on a good path.

Kim

Hi Laura,

Sounds like it was a good visit with your doctor and you will hopefully have some answers soon. Glad heart sounds boring now....and a-fib is gone.

You sounds much better so keep your spirits up!
Lori

Thanks all. Boring is good! I was getting floaters in my left eye from the Amiodarone and involuntary movement in my arms and legs. When I told him that, he said both symptoms were very common with that drug but it was time for me to go off it. I know it'll be in my body for a while but I'm so glad to be off it. I'm breathing better already after missing 600 mgs and even did 30 minutes on the treadmill today - walking, not running yet but it felt good.

Linda, let us know how you made out today with your appointment. Prayers are coming to Brooklyn from NJ!

Latest posts

Back