Severe LVH caused by AS - Any info welcome

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyabernethy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi Guys - Not the most catchiest title I know. I am on the waiting list for my aoritc valve replacement and going back through my medical notes I realised that my Left Ventricular Hypotrophy was diagnosed as severe at my last assessment (previously it had always been mild or moderate).

Although I realise this is to a large extent unavoidable I have never really discussed its impact in any detail with my cardiologist (we tend to focus on the dodgy valve :) ). What I would really like to know is whether this is reversible post surgery and if not what day to day effect this is likely to have long term.

Any thoughts would be most welcome as always.

All the best guys

Andy

Pre Surgery for AVR
Severe Aortic Stenosis Bicuspid Valve
Balloon Valvuloplasty 1990

Hi, Andy, your's is one of those questions no one can answer. Virtually everyone with aortic stenosis developes LVH because it is part of the heart's way of compensating in order to push more blood through the ever shrinking valve. If the valve is left untreated the LVH can become permanent. Fortunately, our bodies are capable of correcting some problems and after the AVR it is common to see the hypertrophy reduce over time. One newer study suggest that LVH can continue to reduce even four or five years after surgery.

Larry

I had it, and it has improved now that I have my new mechanical valve. There has been some research done that indicates that if any regression of the hypertrophy is to occur, it normally takes anywhere from 6 months to a year. It may not completely go back to normal, but once your valve has been replaced, it is likely to improve over time.

Back