Self Testing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_L

Big surprise with the surgeon's nurse today. The surgeon told us that self-testing was great and he was all in favor of it. Not that I wasn't going to do it, even if I need to buy it all out of my own pocket. The nurse tells me today that I'm the first patient that ever asked about it. She starts on the home health nurse. I tell her that I'm an analytical chemist and my wife is an ex-Med Tech with a Master's in Library Science (Medical Specialty) - I think we can handle self testing. She backed off and is starting to pursue it for us.

I really need an Rx from the Dr - right?

Yeah. With the proper training, you can probably handle it.

As far as a doctor's Rx is concerned, it depends on your insurance company (if you are trying to get them to provide a meter), or on your source for the meter, or something. As for myself, I have multiple meters, including a new, unused Coag-Sense meter, and I didn't have to have an Rx to get any of them. I bought these meters on eBay, and usually bought my supplies on eBay (although I've also bought strips from medical supply companies). It may partly depend on whether you want to go out of pocket on the testing, or will try to get assistance from an insurer.

Some on this forum use services like Philips or Alere which send you a machine and supplies, provide a call in number for reporting your INR, contact your doctor (because you're presumably too stupid to dial the doctor's number), and charge an arm and a leg for the service. I haven't used these services, so this is all hearsay.

Self-testing IS great -- it gives the tester a feeling of empowerment and control and, according to some research, those who self-test spend more time in therapeutic range than patients who don't.

Big surprise with the surgeon's nurse today. The surgeon told us that self-testing was great and he was all in favor of it. Not that I wasn't going to do it, even if I need to buy it all out of my own pocket. The nurse tells me today that I'm the first patient that ever asked about it. She starts on the home health nurse. I tell her that I'm an analytical chemist and my wife is an ex-Med Tech with a Master's in Library Science (Medical Specialty) - I think we can handle self testing. She backed off and is starting to pursue it for us.

I really need an Rx from the Dr - right?

Of course you can do this. Very young children have home monitors for INR testing, just like diabetics do. No big deal.

My doc is small town, but I showed him a Coagucheck XS pamphlet, he liked it- wrote the RX, I ordered it and paid cash for it.
This is the best decision i have ever made. Testing is a breeze and extremely accurate.

Try to get the Coaguchek XS or the INRatio2.
Best wishes.

Personally, if I had to choose between the InRatio 2 and the CoaguChek XS, I'd choose the CoaguChek XS. (I have both meters and only speak from personal experience). The CoaguChek XS results seem to be closer to the lab than the InRatio 2 and it seems to be easier to deposit the blood drop on the CoaguChek XS test strip (because you can touch the side of the strip instead of trying to get a drop on the small InRatio target). Both meters have been higher than the lab results, but still within 30% of the lab results.

Hi

home testing is not oonly straightforward it actually leads to better patient outcomes.

You may also wish to sus out options like eBay for a used meter. Seems some people buy them and then don't use them and in sell them (eg son buys for mum who refuses to use it, cos she gets all fuddled, son sells unused meter)

al chemist and my wife is an ex-Med Tech with a Master's in Library Science (Medical Specialty) - I think we can handle self testing. She backed off and is starting to pursue it for us.

This sort of yesteryear thinking belongs in the 19thC let alone the 21stC

You'all be fine (sorry but as an Australian I can't help on the administration side of your system)

It's not just that a person bought a meter and decided not to use it (and then sells it). I'm seeing that many meters may come from medical facilities of one type or another that regularly 'update' their meters. It's an accounting trick -- the thing is depreciated over a number of years, and once it's fully depreciated, it's auctioned off or sold so that new meters (even if it's the SAME meter) are bought. I've gotten a meter from a dealer who traded medical supplies for the meter. I've gotten a meter from a person whose relative had died (and there was no need for the meter).

I've seen 'last generation' meters for sale on eBay; probably because the user or facility decided to upgrade to the newer model.

One warning -- there are people who are trying to sell CoaguChek S and even OLDER CoaguChek models. Perhaps they don't realize that the S is no longer supported (you can't get strips for it) and know that dad paid a lot of money for it ten years ago so it MUST be worth something now; or they're just crooks looking to make a buck off of someone who knows that he or she wants a CoaguChek XS and doesn't read a listing clearly. You DO NOT want a CoaguChek S -- you won't be able to do any tests with it because there are no strips for it.

This is such a good set of points it deserves reiteration!

. I'm seeing that many meters may come from medical facilities of one type or another that regularly 'update' their meters

. there are people who are trying to sell CoaguChek S and even OLDER CoaguChek models. Perhaps they don't realize that the S is no longer supported (you can't get strips for it) You DO NOT want a CoaguChek S -- you won't be able to do any tests with it because there are no strips for it.

Perhaps a sticky is in order for secondhand buyers guide?

You may want to check with your insurance company. Mine is covering my meter, supplies and docs review. You can search on line as I think there are a few different companies doing this. The company I am dealing with is http://www.myphm.com/ You can call and give them your insurance info and they will contact insurance company and verify any coverage for you. Each week I do test and email them number and they let local coumadin clinic know number and they contact me via phone if any adjustment needed. When I report I am down to 4 strips, they send me 12 more with more lancets.

If it cost me money, I would probably look at getting my own meter as Protimenow talks about above.

Last time I was talking to person at coumadin clinic she told me people in Europe self test and do their own adjustments. Not sure if that is totally true or not.

My valve came with a free INRatio! And someone obviously screwed up because I then got sent a second! Maybe I will sell it on eBay . . . .
Interesting, mine with a coaguchek XS ... makes you wonder about the deals between the valve and meter makers :)

My valve was a (then) ATS (now Medtronic)

Of course, St. Jude has gotten its money for my valve 22 years ago. I would be surprised if they were interested in providing a meter after all this time. Also -- if they DID, it would duplicate whatever I already have (except for, perhaps, a Hemochron or CoaguChek XS Plus).

If I have time, I may contact them, but I doubt that they'll do anything other than updating their records on me and taking confirmation that I'm still ticking (though not nearly as loudly as before).

Latest posts

Back