Second Wind

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrychuck

I received word yesterday from Transport Canada Civil Aviation Medicine that my medical has been reinstated and I am once again cleared to fly, 7 1/2 months after my surprise mitral valve replacement. I was not sure I would ever fly again as Pilot in Command, so this is a very big deal to me. I feel like I have turned a corner and checked off one of the last outstanding items in moving toward complete recovery. I am thrilled and grateful to be at this point, and also very grateful for all the information and support received on this forum since I discovered it shortly after my surgery. This is such a caring and supportive community, and I kind of feel like I am sharing this milestone with many here. To recognize what I've experienced over the winter, and the second chance at both living and flying I have been given, I have decided to give my airplane a name..."Second Wind". I suspect many here will understand:) Can't wait to post after my first post-surgery flight!

Thanks to you both, and I appreciate the confidence, Jack; when you're dealing with large bureaucratic organizations like Transport Canada, sometimes their decisions can seem arbitrary and impenetrable, so I can tell you that there was at least ONE person on this forum who had his doubts! I must say, though, that I actually found TC to be, much to my surprise, very helpful and easy to deal with through this process. Go figure. Now I just need some good weather for my first flight; I don't think a gusting crosswind and low ceilings are a great combination for my first time at the stick in 7 1/2 months:O

Update! Got my first flight in! Physiologically, I had to move 3 planes to get mine out, and in flight I tolerated 2g 60 degree banked turns with no difficulty whatsoever. Felt great. Nailed my landing in a gusty quartering crosswind too, which felt pretty good. Life is really coming back together:) Thanks again for the support!

Update! Got my first flight in! Physiologically, I had to move 3 planes to get mine out, and in flight I tolerated 2g 60 degree banked turns with no difficulty whatsoever. Felt great. Nailed my landing in a gusty quartering crosswind too, which felt pretty good. Life is really coming back together:) Thanks again for the support!

Fantastic news! It must feel great. Love the naming of your plane "second wind". Life is good... :)

Way to go Gerry! It must feel fantastic to get back to feeling normal and doing the things you love..Fly High!

Way to go. Congratulations on getting back in the pilots seat and dealing with the crosswinds and landing. Although most of us can't quite relate to that exhilating feeling that you have, we can relate in our own ways, whether it's our first run after surgery or just completing a small task. Very happy for you.

Gerry,

Sounds like you had a great day, even if you had to dig that bird out from the back of the hanger, it probably wasn't sure you would be back anytime soon. Your flight is a true testament to others, that things do get better and we return to do the things we love and enjoyed, prior to our surgeries. Happy flying with "second wind" and keep up the good work.

Thanks so much for the comments; much appreciated!
-Kodi - I couldn't agree more; everyone here has their benchmarks and milestones that tell them they are, however gradually, and in whatever subtle ways, returning to "normal". All matter. This just happens to be mine.
-Escargome - When I first emerged from surgery, I felt that I could accept it if I couldn't fly again; my last year of aviation had been the best of my 25 years in the air and I would be going out on a high note, and being alive meant so much that whether I was flying or not didn't seem that important. Of course, as I recovered and returned to feeling relatively normal, that changed, and I decided I would do whatever it took to get back in the air; absence makes the heart grow fonder, and the longer I was grounded, the more I came to realize how much flying means to me, and how hard I was willing to fight to get that privilege (and it is a privilege) back. I am so grateful that I actually didn't have to fight very hard.
-Oilman - The effort in digging the plane out was certainly worth it, and being able to move three planes with relative ease was an accomplishment in itself! It was a very good day indeed:) I know you'e a big hockey guy; hope you are able to get back to the game you love as well.

Got the lettering cut and applied with the new name of my plane on the cowling; thought I'd share:)

9118489287_c7d34773e9_c.jpg
[/url] Pense No. 160-20130623-00102 by gerrychuck, on Flickr[/IMG]

9118486555_6b67a34886_c.jpg
[/url] Pense No. 160-20130623-00101 by gerrychuck, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back