Second Hand Smoke and Lung Disease

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj/utvolsfan

Hey Everyone,
My dad,79, has been the epitome of good health all of his life. I brag to my friends he could easily be Jack LaLane's replacement. He's been the perfect model of how to eat right and exercise in order to enjoy a long life. I swear he looks about 60!
He was diagnosed with early prostate cancer a few months ago. No problem. Is on top of that. He noticed some sob during the summer. Upon his return to his winter place in Florida recently he visited his gp. To make a long story short, this man who has been a nonsmoker all of his life and has now developed lung disease, his heart is enlarged and he has a slight problem with his aortic valve. The doctor believes the lung issue is second hand smoke related....heavy duty smokers who were his office mates back in the day before we knew how dangerous smoking was. His kidneys are only functioning at 50% which hadn't been a problem until now because they don't have the ability to flush out the dye used for contrasting. More tests are coming up. So far they know it isn't emphysema or asbestosis. My dad was a chemist for his career and obviously handled his share of chemicals, however the doc doesn't believe there is a connection. :confused: The only other thing I know is only the right lung - bottom lobe - is involved.
I guess I am wondering are there some lung diseases which a person can live with??? Also the doctor told my dad that lung disease caused by second hand smoke is often worse than the disease caused by actual smoking. Cancer has been mentioned as a possibility. I still see my dad as 50. I know I am in denial. I know prostate cancer is a formidible foe, but dad seems to have that whipped.
i just don't see these two related. I'm sorry I am rambling. Just simply baffled. I know I don't sound like a big girl right now, but knowledge is power and I can handle whatever you folks have had experience with.
Thank you so much in advance.
Debbi

I'm sorry to hear that your dad is having problems.

Yes, there are lung diseases that people can live with. You can have growths in your lungs that are not cancerous, among other things. Don't give up yet. There are still many possibilities.

Best wishes,

Living With Lung Disease

Living With Lung Disease

Debbi, I am offering my prayers for your dad, too.

If you go to www.lungusa.org, the American Lung Association's site, you will find lots of info and stories about people living with lung disease and doing well. There's info about treatment options, too.

So I echo Bob H in urging you not to despair. The fact that your dad has worked hard to keep himself in good shape should work in his favor as you go forward.

All best,

Debbi:

Sorry to hear about your dad. Our dads have very similar problems.
My father will be 78 in 1 month and has been dealing with pulmonary fibrosis for several years. He quit smoking 50 years ago -- I barely remember him smoking -- but my mom smoked until about 29 or 30 years ago. My dad has also had prostate cancer (December 1993).
I'm not sure my dad's lung problems are the result of first-hand or second-hand smoke.
He has problems in the summer when the ozone levels are high, and it seems that he has more trouble shaking colds now. He goes through 2 Z-packs each time.

A family friend of ours had lung cancer, had that part of his lung removed and is still alive and cancer free about 30 years later. I didn't even know he had had lung surgery until I was an adult.

I've been living with a lung disease since 91. Granted it's taken it's toll on me, but I'm still here.

I do not nor will I ever believe in entirety, that smoking, first or second hand, causes cancer. I've known people that smoked 2 to 3 packs a day and died nearly 100 years old and not of cancer. I think this second hand smoke thing is a ruse and will be found as such in the next 10 years.

I have to echo what Ross said. I think they can't explain certain ailments so they put it on something. Remeber how they said don't eat this or that because it causes cancer and then down the road, oh, that is okay to eat now but don't eat or do this because that is what causes cancer. In my opinion, I believe some people are just more prone to certain things than others. Some get warts, some don't. Some get cancer, some don't. Why? We may never know.

I also work with a young lady that has had part of her lung removed and you would never know!!

Hang in there and your Dad seems to be in great shape, so that in itself can only help him.
You all will be in my prayers!!

quote from Debbi's post: My dad was a chemist for his career and obviously handled his share of chemicals, however the doc doesn't believe there is a connection. The only other thing I know is only the right lung - bottom lobe - is involved.

Debbi, my dad was a painter/decorator and was around a lot of varnish, paint, lacquers, and other fumes for many many years as was his business partner.
He also had smoked in his youth but quit around WWII. He devoped pulmonary fibrosis somewhere along the way that was diagnosed sometime in his seventies when he developed cardiac problems. He actually did very well with it until he developed a tumor at age 80 and because of the poor condition of his lungs wasn't a good candidate for surgery and chose not to treat it at all. He was on oxygen 24/7 the last few months and died peacefully at age 81. His death certificate stated that the cancer was secondary to pulmonary fibrosis and lung cancer from toxins in his line of work(they used a specific term for this but I can't remember it) and smoking (even though he hadn't smoked for over 50 years.

I too always saw my dad in my mind as this strong man in this 50s. I hope the outcome is much better for you dad and it could very well be. I so empathize with you though. since I have been in that place with a dad that I adored and probably had the greatest influence on my life that any other person.

Debbi, sorry about your dad's health issues. Hope the doctors are able to identify accurately his lung issues and that he gets better soon.

I think genetics definitely has a major role in who is susceptible to cancer. However, I'm not convinced that second hand smoke isn't one of the culprits in lung cancer; meaning that if you're genetically inclined to get cancer that carcinogenic substances could be the finger that pulls the genetic trigger. That's not for the purpose of arguing though. That's just my belief. I used to smoke years ago and loved smoking. I quit only because I knew I should. Now I can't hardly breathe around cigarette smoke. My nose stops up and I get a headache. If I'm around it long enough my chest gets heavy. I can't prove or disprove anything based solely on my personal experience, but I just can't see that it doesn't hurt your lungs.

My must agree with Wise, second hand smoke may or may not be as bad as they say but I doubt its good for you either, and may be one of many contributing factors. I started smoking at 14 and quit at 30 as I knew I should. I did notice over time an improvement in how I felt, for example not waking up with that "froggy" throat. I must admit I do enjoy restaurants more now that they've banned smoking in them around here.

Latest posts

Back