Second anniversary ... and all is well

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allisoninoz

Hi all! I haven't posted for months ... but keep an eye on the forums. It was the second anniversary of my Ross Procedure on 22 February. So many friends say to me "Oh, that's gone so fast", but in many ways to me, it hasn't gone quickly at all. It's actually been quite a long process. Because I didn't have serious symptoms, it's often hard to remember how I felt before the surgery. My husband says I was very tired a lot of the time. I do remember it being a struggle to get out of bed some mornings ... just feeling like I hadn't had enough sleep, even if I'd slept for eight or nine hours.
I certainly have a lot more energy now ... although it's hard at the moment to do much at all as we're having a HOT summer in Melbourne, up to our fourteenth consecutive day of over 30deg celsius. Some days up to 36, 37, and then warm, humid nights.

I go to a personal trainer twice a week and do lots of walking. Every now and then I'll have a panic ... oh God, what if something goes wrong, what if I need another surgery (i.e. which would be my fourth), what if it all falls apart inside me? And then I take a deep breath and tell myself it probably won't and I'll deal with it if it does.

I was near the beach this morning where I'd walk each day during my recovery. I remembered how the first few days after I was home were so hard ... I'd walk no more than six or seven minutes, then gradually built up to 10, then 15, then 20, then 30 minutes. It was sometimes tiring and I'd need to have an afternoon nap - and I couldn't get comfortable as my back was hurting. Sometimes I'd just get really peed off that this had to happen to me. Then I'd think about how lucky I am - and most people on this forum are - that we live at a time where they can detect and fix most heart problems. I also think I'm lucky that this happened to me, and not somebody I loved. It would be hard to watch somebody else go through it.

Today I walked 50 minutes along the beach path, then jogged up the steps back to the road :)

My scar is very neat, though I notice some people check it out at shops etc (or maybe they're looking at my cleavage? :D) ... I had my two year check up with the surgeon and the cardiologist last week. They're both happy with me but I need to have an echo this week so they can see what's going on inside as well (I'd actually forgotten to book the echo before the appointments!).

I hope everybody's feeling well ... and for those in the waiting room, hang in there, you'll get through the surgery, you'll recover, and life will go on.

All very philosophical, hey? I'm going to get an icy pole from the freezer and sit in front of the air conditioner.
Cheers, Allison

Last edited:
Congrats Allison! I am 6 wks post op and so appreciated reading your post because I can so relate to what you said. I am having a hard time right now in where I am at in my recovery. I too cant really say I feel so much better, I think I do but I am having some post op hiccups. I too worry that something will fall apart in me, lol. My husband tells me to be patient and I am trying. Your post lifts my mended heart. Continued good health you.

Katm

Allison - It is great to hear from you again. It is especially great to hear that you're doing well and will continue to do so. Keep up the physical training - it looks good on you! <with a grin>

Allison,

Great post! Really glad to hear that all is well with you -- laughing about people checking out your scar -- I'm very small, so for me I think ...hmm... I wonder if they’re looking at my cleavage...finally LOL :D

Stay cool!

Rachel

Latest posts

Back