Scuba Diving

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gustaf

I have seen the earlier threads, and that it is not all too conclusive on whether scuba diving is recommended.

Are there anyone now active here with good or bad experiences from diving?

I used to be a recreational formerly military diver but stopped when my aneuyrism was around 4,7 cm. I am now looking at possibly diving in open, shallow waters down to say 50 fts or so.

(I do not take Coumadin or have a mechanical valve, "just" a repair, an aortic graft, a stent, a pacemaker (also a cracked but now fully "repaired" skull after a motorcycle accident, but that's another story).

::g

I do not dive myself - but from what I have heard, there shouldn't be a problem with it after repair, but I have no idea about pacemakers and any restrictions with that. I'm sure someone will come along who does dive, and if you're concerned I would ask your cardio to be safe as well as ease your mind about it.

Diving

Diving

I'm not sure you'll get a conclusive answer to your question here. The question has been posed before and answers seemed to vary from no to yes...to shallow diving is okay, going deep isn't...to diving deep is no problem, etc...

While I'm not currently an active diver, I would like to return to diving at some point in the future. I asked both my surgeon and cardiologist about scuba. Both told me that I could pursue diving with no restrictions.

-Philip

Shallow diving should be fine. It's when you get into deep diving that problems may arise. My Cardio is a diver. I'll ask him next time I talk to him, but that won't be for 2 months yet.

I'm not sure you'll get a conclusive answer to your question here. The question has been posed before and answers seemed to vary from no to yes...to shallow diving is okay, going deep isn't...to diving deep is no problem, etc...

While I'm not currently an active diver, I would like to return to diving at some point in the future. I asked both my surgeon and cardiologist about scuba. Both told me that I could pursue diving with no restrictions.

-Philip

I've put the tanks back on - kinda like an old dog that finally returned home!

My dr's gave the OK abouy 6 months post op.

My ICD is not depth rated, so I can't dive anymore. I understand some pacemakers might be.

I had quit diving pre-OHS because of repeated ear issues anyway, but it's a little sad that I don't have the OPTION anymore. Sometimes I miss offshore Grand Cayman....Someone say hi to the 80 or so big tarpin down at easy chair reef (?) for me, and the huge ling cod at spanish anchor. And the 3 foot lobsters on the north wall, and elkhorn coral on the south wall. Sigh.

I don't know of any issues with recreational diving (0-120 ft) because of valve repair, though you might want to stay shallow unless approved by your doctors.

Latest posts

Back