Scheduled for surgery in September, 2015, at Massachusetts General Hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawdog

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

Received the news last week that it is time to repair my ascending aortic aneurysm, bicuspid aortic valve, and aortic stenosis. My condition is congenital, was diagnosed at birth, and I have known about it all of my life. That knowledge prepared me for the eventuality of cardiac surgery. Now at 40, my aneurysm is measuring out at 5.0 cm on CTA and my AS has progressed to "moderate." Over the past few months I have begun to feel the symptoms of the AS. My surgery is scheduled for September at MGH. I am having my aorta repaired and my aortic valve replaced with a tissue valve, most likely an Edwards Magna. Anyone here an MGH surgery alumus/ae? If so, do you have any advice? Thoughts on the Edwards tissue valves? How has it performed for you? Also, for when I am home, should I rent a hospital bed for the first month or should I purchase a kicking electric recliner to sleep in until I am able to sleep in my bed again? Thanks!

Lawdog

"welcome aboard" the good ship AVR

as to a bed, I personally hated the hospital bed and could not be more pleased to get back to my own. The only thing I did for accomodating myself was to put a thick rope tied to the bottom of the post at the foot so that when I was getting up I could reach for that and pull myself up. I was strictly advised to keep my elbows in tight and to not have anything above the bed to pull myself up.

It was a few weeks before I could sleep on my side.

Best wishes

I'll be watching this thread, Lawdog, because I have basically the same questions. Diagnosed six weeks ago with severe aortic stenosis, meeting with the surgeon on August 3. I'm leaning toward renting a power lift recliner. I've read about others sleeping on the couch but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing that.

I slept on the couch. I have very high beds, and I am short. It was fine. I kept a coffee table near the couch to help me get up and store items I might need during the night. I have recliners, but they were more difficult for me.

I slept for a few weeks in a recliner - but it is an electrically operated recliner, so no effort required to operate it. I would have slept in my own bed but I was having severe intestinal distress brought on by the pain meds, and the semi-upright position was much more comfortable on the stomach. ("Blocked up" really bad. Had to be re-admitted to hospital 4 weeks out to resolve it.) My bed is also a high one, but we kept a kitchen step-stool at the side of the bed to make it easy to get in and out. I got into and out of bed using the "tuck and roll" method (no - not the 1950's hot rod upholstery technique). I would tuck my elbows against my sides and roll onto my side, facing off the bed. I would then swing my legs over the side of the bed and use their weight to help me to sit upright. If I needed a push, I would just press my foot against the step-stool next to the bed. From there it was simple to just stand up. No arm or chest muscles were called into action for this technique. It uses primarily back and leg muscles.

As far as getting "all blocked up," be sure to discuss this with your surgeon and cardio. Some hospitals give patients medication to "keep things moving" but many just wait to see if the patient complains. By the time you complain, it is too late and you are very uncomfortable. The narcotic pain meds can slow your digestive system to a crawl, leaving you badly constipated. (Sorry if this is Too Much Information.) You may need to take a mile laxative (my doc recommended Mira-Lax) for some days of weeks post-op until the meds all clear out of your system.

Pellicle will probably chime in here, recommending his version of a laxative -- kimchi. IIRC, this is a Korean dish that is a form of pickled cabbage, which pellicle says worked just fine for him, plus he likes the taste. YMMV.

I rented an electric recliner and I liked it, when I could pry my 8 yr old son out of it, but I only slept in it a couple times and usually just used my bed. However everyone is different as they say and if you are uncomfortable lying flat on bed you'll wish you had one.

Thank you all for your replies. I ended-up purchasing an electric recliner. I almost feel asleep in it Sunday afternoon, so I think it was the right choice.

BTW - my surgery has been moved up to the second week of August. I have my surgical pre-op day next Tuesday. I am really looking forward to getting the surgery over with. Putting my affairs in order over the past few weeks has been really stressful. Especially since I am not physically feeling 100% anyway.

Latest posts

Back