Scheduled for 10/5

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartsong

I had this thing (aneurysm repair + repair/replace valve) previously scheduled "far" into the future (in January 2017) but I've realized that, with some things, the sooner the better and rescheduled for early October with Dr. Conte at Johns Hopkins. So how do I spend the next two weeks without going crazy? My spirits are good but I'm hyper and can't concentrate, par for the course, I guess.

It's pretty amazing how every third person you meet had a similar surgery or is related to someone who did. So far, all the stories have been good ones! :) This has become pretty routine, so that eases my mind.

I'm feeling so lucky. I've got tons of support from family, friends, and even job. I'm close to great medical care and I've got good insurance. Just gotta get through the next couple of weeks!

I only had to wait 4 weeks between dx and procedure - one week in ICU still and next three dealing with preemie twins quite ill in the NICU. Not pretty but doing what was needed for them was a very effective distraction from worrying or getting hyped up about my own heart thing.

Wishing you as comfortable a wait as possible, an excellent outcome and a smooth recovery!! Glad you're in good spirits for the moment.

Eva has it right. Number 1, Concentrate on how good you will feel. Plan on things you will be able to do you haven't been able to do before. Number 2 talk to your loved ones, say what you need to say, and have all your finances and wills in place. Number 3, get back to thinking about how the surgery will change your life. It is a tough wait but after the surgery you will wonder why you worried so much. It really is a rebirth and it will change your outlook on life. You will be fine and hopefully helping people in your similar situation on here after surgery. Take care and good luck!

I'm going in a couple weeks after you are and the nerves are getting a little raw at this point... however, like you my spirits are good as well. I think what has helped me the most is focusing on my "to do" lists and trying to accomplish a lot of things leading up the surgery. I just have a lot of nervous energy so I'm trying to make it productive... its amazing how many things you can find around the house that need to be done. haha! Good luck!

Back