Schedule the surgery already?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartsong

My first surgeon said my scans six months apart show aneurysm (5.4, 5.6) and valve regurgitation, but he would advise a once a year scan and schedule surgery when/if aneurysm gets bigger or regurgitation worse.

My second surgeon said I could wait if I wanted, but he would schedule the surgery because it's inevitable, so why wait. Also I have a small frame, which apparently makes these numbers worse.

Given that, I decided to schedule it, but I didn't see any need to rush. So it's scheduled for January, 2017. I thought I'd get the summer out of the way, let my youngest start and adjust to kindergarten and get through the holidays. Nothing much happens January - March.

But it turns out I'm thinking about it all the time. Maybe I should go ahead and do it? I imagine people feel a lot better once it's imminent so you can finally get it out of the way.

So, if you knew you were going to be having this surgery within the next few months, would you wait until it was convenient for you/your family's life, or would you do it ASAP.

I wanted it done as soon as possible after my diagnosis of severe aortic stenosis for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't do well anxiety-wise in the waiting room and 2) I was nearing my insurance out-of-pocket maximum so a delay into 2017 would have cost me an extra $5000 out-of-pocket.

If insurance deductibles are not an issue for you, and if you are not extremely anxious, you might want to stick to your original date and wait for the holidays to be over.

I agree with the get it over with plan ,especially at that size. My aneurysm was supposed to be 4.6 or 4.7 but it turned out to be 4.99 'm and the surgeon said it was thin areas. John Hopkins is probably pretty close to you or hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where I had mine done, both are great heart centers. I picked winter alao, had it done in February so I figured I'd be mostly healed by summer. Not to be an alarmist but between now and then take it easy with any lifting.

I would also recommend getting it done - nothing to lose - you can reduce risk and take advantage of your good health to make it through recovery in no time. I had my surgery this summer and enjoyed the warm weather - not sure how active I would have been in the winter. I would not have liked to walk around with thick closing touching my scar.

I also agree to get it done soon. I didn't really have a choice so had the surgery exactly 8 weeks after diagnosis but I'm glad I did it so soon and got it over with.

Also as Juli posted, it's nicer to walk in the summer or fall rather than the winter. I had my surgery in October which gave me great walking weather!

Latest posts

Back