scared

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learn to use breathing to instill calm. Place yourself in the hands of the medical team not just physically, but emotionally. Understand that the odds of dying in surgery are not very high at all. About the same as drowning, accidental poisoning or even riding a motorcycle, and you are four times more likely to be killed by a fire arm than die in surgery. Of course the difference is that the four listed above are things that are happening to you involuntarily, and there is little time to prepare for them so the fear manifests itself at the time of the event. Surgery is something that you can see coming, and sometimes, from a long way off, so the fear comes before the event. This is where the breathing exercises and faith in your medical practitioners will help.

And don't forget that fear is normal. Of all of our emotions, it is undoubtedly the most important if not the most pleasant.

The surgery saved my life. For me the procedure was rough and recovery is really hard but I chose to live and not die. I'm looking forward to making a full recovery and probably feeling better than I can remember in the past 10 years. It's amazing how you are getting responses from people who have already made it to the other side. Sure we all have stories to tell with complications and frustrations but we are all still alive to talk about it. For most if not all quality of life after surgery is the same and better than before surgery.

Yes there are risks but the risks are small compared to not doing anything and letting the disease take you. Valve disease is terminal, this isn't something to be taken lightly if its not resolved it will certainly take your life. Good thing for us there is a cure. Take the cure my friend, continue to live.

Randy, I also did all the sensible things before the surgery, like paying all the accounts and updating my will during the 6 months I waited for surgery, but I also made a list of interesting places we as a family will go and see AFTER the surgery. I celebrated my first valve anniversary climbing the volcano in the Santorini caldera and the second one staring in awe at the Victoria Falls in Zambia. We have many more annual ones mapped out like that, but we also have small and less ambitious ones in our country and just around town, that we have done and are still waiting to do.

So by all means be scared (you are allowed to be) but also look at the positive effect this surgery will have on your life....I promise you!

I was very depressed and scared for the 5 months between diagnosis and surgery. The week of the op it all chnged, I told myself I had no choice so I had to make the most of the experience. It as definately life changing but in a very positive way. Three months out and I am fitter, healthier and happier than I have been in years. My post surgery reward, next week, is a steam hauled train journey on the famously scenic Settle to Carlisle Main Line - with all meals on the train. I was taking Anti Depressants for several months but I now gradually reducing the dose.

As I was working in my garden today, I am about 5 months post AVR replacement, I could smell my phlox and the wet dirt and felt blessed to be here. It is amazing how they have perfected OHS. I did put myself in the hospitals hands that morning and was so grateful to get on with it. Everyone on the team wants your surgery and experience to be a success. In all my life I would never have dreamed that I would have this experience in my life. I was shopping today and thought that no one seeing me walking around Target would know where I was 5 months ago. Life moves on and it will be better for you when this is DONE!. Wishing you the best and speediest recovery.

As I was working in my garden today, I am about 5 months post AVR replacement, I could smell my phlox and the wet dirt and felt blessed to be here. It is amazing how they have perfected OHS. I did put myself in the hospitals hands that morning and was so grateful to get on with it. Everyone on the team wants your surgery and experience to be a success. In all my life I would never have dreamed that I would have this experience in my life. I was shopping today and thought that no one seeing me walking around Target would know where I was 5 months ago. Life moves on and it will be better for you when this is DONE!. Wishing you the best and speediest recovery.

Well said.

Randy I am still waiting to see if I qualify for the TAVI. I too have moments of fear and anxiety. I pray a lot and that helps me.I am a newbie myself and am trying to educate myself.My greatest fear is making the wrong decisions about my care.I must say Ihave learned much in a few days from this forum.
In many ways these folks are more informative than the Drs. Best of luck to you

Latest posts

Back