scar and cortisone shot

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

Hi everyone, today I went to the dermatologist to get some moles checked out and she gave me some cortisone shots in my scar which has been a keloid, whoa it hurt. Holy cow, that was painful. I will let you know of the results after it calms down, its been an hour and still burning a bit. The mole remove was a piece of cake though.

Sounds painful!.What does the keloid scar look like. The bottom 2.5 inches of my scar is quite thick and inflexible. It is still red and can be itchy whereas the rest of the scar has almost disappeared. I would be interested to see if the cortisone works. Is the keloid fairly common of open heart surgery?
I hope the cortisone works for you.

Martin

Martin I don't know if it is common or how soon after you should get the cortisone shots, perhaps you do have a keloid, I'm not sure perhaps you should google and see if it looks like one. The bottom 2" of mine is raised and kind of rope like, it is like if I had a hard piece of yarn under my scar, the top 1" is wide protrudes, shiny and pink, it is sensitive to touch and does have itching spells. It is puffy on the top. It has only been two days since the cortisone shots and the bottom part has areas that have flattened out, the top has gotten thinner and is less sensitive to touch now. I think I have to wait longer to see the final results and I will update then.

I got my shots about 6 months after surgery. The first series was low dose and didn't help much. The second series was higher dose, and within a week the itching went away. By 4 weeks post, the scar collapsed. I'm now 6-8 weeks post second series. The area is still red, but slowly improving. I have a small indented area where the raised scar was before, but all the itching is gone.
I traded a red, raised, itchy scar for a red-but-fading, non-itchy, slightly collapsed area. I think it was a good trade, especially since my lingerie doesn't aggravate me all day anymore. The area should fade over time, and the collapsed area may fill in some, too. We'll see. It's not perfect, but I consider it a good trade. Maybe I'll get a camera and post a pic of my post-injection area one of these days. In my copious spare time (back to work, girl).

Keyloid and Cortisone

Keyloid and Cortisone

Howdy all:

I went to the dermatologist about flair of dermatitis I was having about 4 months after surgery. She took a look at my scar and indicated that it had defiantly gone keyloid. She starting looking at other scars on my body (being a mechanic/metal fabricator I have plenty) and pointed out that I am clearly prone to keyloids.

Anyway, she asked me if I wanted to get that scar area at the very top and very bottom of the incision to lay down. It was quite pronounced in height. I trust her so boom boom bang, a few shots later, I was on my way.

Within a couple days, those spots that were so pronounced were damn near flat! No more speed bumps! I have not had any injections sense than, but I think I may go back for a little more bump work. I sure did work the first time!

Update on my scar, the bottom is white and flat now, the top 1/2 inch is protruding slightly but it isn't sensitive anymore and it doesn't bother me much at all so I recommend the cortisone shot, just ask if they can put some numbing cream on it first.

Latest posts

Back