Saw my surgeon on TV last night!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbanabba

I was watching a science program called "Catalyst" because they were doing a story on minimally invasive valve replacements and who should they be interviewing but my surgeon..! He and the team at the hospital where I had my PVR were filmed performing an AVR on an elderly gentleman who had previous OHS for a triple bypass. They also showed another ol' guy who had his valve replaced with the same surgery 5 months earlier and he was going great guns!

Anyway, it was great to know they're using this technology at this hospital and should it become an option for pulmonary valves in the future, I know they have an experienced team

It also reminded my I have to send my team a big THANK YOU for all their work. It seems to be paying off very well and I should really let them know.

A : )

Thanks for the info. Must have been interesting to see your surgeon at work!! I actually just went and watched the program on their website - anyone else interested - the link is http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2550648.htm

At the end she was saying they hope to make this a routine way of doing valve replacement in one to two years !! I wonder if this is for the high risk patients or for everyone??? :)

I was watching a science program called "Catalyst" because they were doing a story on minimally invasive valve replacements and who should they be interviewing but my surgeon..! He and the team at the hospital where I had my PVR were filmed performing an AVR on an elderly gentleman who had previous OHS for a triple bypass. They also showed another ol' guy who had his valve replaced with the same surgery 5 months earlier and he was going great guns!

Anyway, it was great to know they're using this technology at this hospital and should it become an option for pulmonary valves in the future, I know they have an experienced team

It also reminded my I have to send my team a big THANK YOU for all their work. It seems to be paying off very well and I should really let them know.

Anna,

I sent my surgeon and the surgical team and the staff a very nice big "Thank you card" on Thanksgiving. The last time I saw him, I got him a humle gift...basket with some fruits, tea bags in a nice tea box, a strauberry and lemon jam and crackers...each jam was put in a nice bottle shaped and colored like a strawberry and one like a lemon; and little things to the girls who helped me a lot in his office and one in hospital.:) I am planning to remember him every Thanksgiving.

How come they did not interview you???

I was cycling in France last week and a got chatting to a French Cardiac nurse, I've actually known her for years as a nurse but didn't realise she was a cardiac nurse before.. I never thought about such things before my diagnosis !
Anyway, she was surprised to hear I'd had OHS for an Aortic valve because they only do minimal invasive for all Aortic operations now. I'd have thought Europe would all be doing pretty much the same thing.

Saw the show Anna...my mum called me earlier in the week and told me to watch out for it..fascinating hey...its great stuff to see that the next generation of "valvers" will possibly never have to deal with the sternum zippers that most of us proudly wear!

As a fan of old television shows, I see my surgeon on television all the time. Dr. Lester bears a strong resemblance to the late John Larch. Larch was a character actor, one of his most famous roles being Billy Mumy's father in The Twilight Zone episode 'It's a good life'

Seriously speaking, there was a feature article on Dr. Lester in a magazine section of my local newspaper about 3 months ago. Unfortunately the article is not online.

How come they did not interview you???

Guess 'cause it's a totally different valve which doesn't apply to me :rolleyes:

Aussiegal - do you know if they're doing this kind of thing in WA? I'm kind of surprised at how far ahead Adelaide is when it comes to their cardiac technology, since both Perth and Melbourne were not able to offer me the same things I'm getting here. Mind you, it's been a while since I was in WA, so hopefully they're keeping up over that way.

Back