Running....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to run before the surgery but it was just too hard to do and now I know why ! I've done 5 miles each of the last 3 Saturdays and I'm running twice a week in the mornings at 3 miles a pop. I think Im running now simply because I can.

I tried to run before the surgery but it was just too hard to do and now I know why ! I've done 5 miles each of the last 3 Saturdays and I'm running twice a week in the mornings at 3 miles a pop. I think Im running now simply because I can.

Thanks Scott ... I have never had an interest in running/jogging but I find at times that walking is just not giving me what I want ... I think the AVR and putting down the smokes and losing weight has given me the idea that it might be possible to run for fun ... I am walk/running now two miles in the morning and two in the evening ... I am being careful not to over do and hurt myself.

Thanks Scott ... I have never had an interest in running/jogging but I find at times that walking is just not giving me what I want ... I think the AVR and putting down the smokes and losing weight has given me the idea that it might be possible to run for fun ... I am walk/running now two miles in the morning and two in the evening ... I am being careful not to over do and hurt myself.

I would stress caution -- not getting caught up in a sudden burst of enthusiasm and doing too much, too soon.

Cooker,

I'm 53 and haven't ran in years but started recently after my OHS.
My goal is to run a 5K race this fall.

How about we start a "Cookers Run In---Friday Smack Down the Miles" thread.
to report the miles we log each week?

John

I want to run!:mad:

Ran track in high school for a year before the ol' pediatric cardio made me quit the team. Tried to argue with him, but soon realized it was either run or have a valve replacement at 15...

I started running a bit last year...made it up to 1 mile but then got "too busy" with work.

Then I started this summer, but Damn Leg keeps me from continuing...at least until I get the MRA results and/or surgery.

I think running is great exercise, especially when you want more out of your workout than plain walking.

My 2 cents...

Cooker,

I'm 53 and haven't ran in years but started recently after my OHS.
My goal is to run a 5K race this fall.

How about we start a "Cookers Run In---Friday Smack Down the Miles" thread.
to report the miles we log each week?

John

John.....I think Lionheart Run In---Friday Smack Down the Miles would be more appropriate:) ... I'm not a runner, yet:) and I think I would like to see where this goes ... anyway, one "Cooker" anything thread is enough:eek:

Have you ever seen a runner smile?

Have you ever seen a runner laugh?

The one time I tried It I kept spilling my beer
and I couldn't keep my cigar lit!

There's your answer!:D:D:D

I have never, in my entire life, been able to run. I kind of wish I could. It would get the mile walk over with faster. ;) I just get so out of breath. Though, with the Wii Fit's "running" portion I've been doing some running in place. Perhaps, on a flat track, I could try running at a slow pace. But probably not. Even short bursts of running are hard for me (sometimes I have to chase down a runaway student).

Good luck, Cooker! Running should burn those calories even faster! :D

I wish to start running again 7 weeks post-op - just worried it might be too soon. I believe my sternum is now ok, but is my heart up to it yet? I ran up until 6 months before my op and have been walking loads post op. When I do start again is it best to use a heart monitor?

Cookie, I'm worried about you hurting your legs or knees. Does power walking interest you?
Also, swimming is the best workout and the safest....jump in the neighbor's pool....you know which one!!

Cookie, I'm worried about you hurting your legs or knees. Does power walking interest you?
Also, swimming is the best workout and the safest....jump in the neighbor's pool....you know which one!!

Thanks for the worry:) ... I will take it easy...the pool....NO WAY ... might be the end of the Chimp:eek:

Walking fast on an incline (treadmill) is a good way to increase the workout without putting unnecessary pressures on your joints and back.

I find this idea very interesting. I wasn't allowed to run or take PE in school from day one, although I ran everytime my folks weren't looking. Every spring I would beg my dad to let me go out for track but he would never relent, being obedient to the doctors' directions. I've always dreamed about running. And it's really fun in my dreams. But I'm still not, even walking, able to pull any kind of hills without some discomfort.

The other thing I would consider, if a person hasn't run as a young person and developed certain leg and ankle and foot muscles, that they would want to have excellent shoes, maybe run on a softer running track, and build up slowly and gradually.

For you real runners, does that sound correct?

I find this idea very interesting. I wasn't allowed to run or take PE in school from day one, although I ran everytime my folks weren't looking. Every spring I would beg my dad to let me go out for track but he would never relent, being obedient to the doctors' directions. I've always dreamed about running. And it's really fun in my dreams. But I'm still not, even walking, able to pull any kind of hills without some discomfort.

The other thing I would consider, if a person hasn't run as a young person and developed certain leg and ankle and foot muscles, that they would want to have excellent shoes, maybe run on a softer running track, and build up slowly and gradually.

For you real runners, does that sound correct?

Susan...I think we may be on the same page. I never was an athlete and by the time my teens and twenties hit I was headed in a different direction and not interested in exercise or healthy hobbies?I have always admired runners and thought how great it would be to be able to trot down the road with a graceful stride?I do not have aspirations of becoming a competitive runner but I would like to see if I can accomplish a few small goals and enjoy doing so?.At 52 I feel better than I have in years and am in better health?I?m losing weight, have stopped smoking and am eating better than ever? If I?m going to do it this seems like the time.

Back