Run times and distance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry45

In my opinion, my run times suck. My last three runs have been two 3 mile treadmill runs at 9.45min per mile avg pace, varied between 6.0 and 6.3 with last quarter of a mile at 6.5, and this mornings run outside on the silver comet trail, 3 mile run and a 10:20 avg pace. Passed by everyone out there including the lady with the dog...

My legs feel like I'm running in quicksand and breathing is a challenge. Heart rate is pretty good. Avg HR is between 82-85% target heart rate (145-155 bpm). I have had it up to about 92% and 162 bpm. 100% target HR is 170.

I loved running prior to my surgery and it is actually what I was doing when I had my little event. My normal routine would be two 4 mile runs, a long run and a 3 mile run, Sometimes my long run would be a trail run up Kennesaw Mtn. Running was my hobby, passion and how I stayed balanced and sane. I felt amazing after each run. Now not so much. I want it back. I miss it. I will keep working and try to increase distance and better my time slowly but patience is not something I'm good with!

Sounds like a same old story not only from me but others on this forum. Patience may not be your strong point, but you better learn to handle it a little. I don't know but I'm probably a lot older than you and partly for the age thing, I never returned to my pre-surgery level and it took me about five years to start to come to grips with it. There are others her who have returned to pre-surgery levels and it didn't happen overnight. It takes time so be patient and work slowly to get where you want to be. In some ways it like starting like you never ran before. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I share your frustration! I had my first op in Sept 2010 and second in Oct 2011 (avr both) and am still not back to the paddling speed I was doing when my aortic valve was crap . As for running, I wasn't allowed to run before my heart was fixed so I was 40 when I started and GEEZ I struggle. I aspire to even one 10 minute mile!

You are only eight months post op, that probably seems like heaps of time to you but this surgery knocks us around a lot and takes a year to get over fully before we can even consider getting back to previous fitness. So as others said, patience . . .

Running on a TM regularly is not good. I use it only out of desperation. I does keep the lungs and heart healthy but it isn't real running. Think about what it is doing. There's a motor moving a belt below your feet and you simply bounce up and down in rhythm with the belt timing. You are running in place. When you go outside there is nothing moving the sidewalk beneath you. You must propel yourself forward with each step and this takes more force from more muscles not being used on the TM. So it will take a 3-4 weeks to get those propulsion muscles toned up so that you'll be able to match your TM paces.

Yes, what everyone else said! One year seems to be a point where you feel comfortable running again, but maybe not at your old pace. I did not see anything on drugs you are taking, but beta blockers make you feel slow...
You néed to totally forget your old times...you are not recovering from a simple running injury, you are on a totally different time line! There are many valvers that get back to running, some slower, some faster. If you like, check out cardiac athletes...many of us over there have the same experience as you.

Sumo, I agree treadmills are not the same as running outside. Prior to my surgery I rarely ran on the treadmill. We ran outside in all weather. I have been running on the treadmill now just to try to build up my breathing and get my heart rate up. I'm just now gaining enough confidence to run outside with and without a running buddy. The legs have a long way to go to get back to running shape. I'm amazed at how much I lost both breathing and legs. I have done a couple of 5K event runs..slowly.

Tom, thanks I will check out the cardiac athletes.

Terry, I feel your pain. I'm 2 years out from a messy valve replacement/bypass/pacemaker surgery. I have not yet regained my pre-surgical pace, and my valve was pretty shot. At this point, I fully realize that I may not get back to where I was -- my 65 year-old knees, with 30+ years of running on them, just will not hear of it. Too painful. So - I have to be satisfied with "power-walking" and riding an exercise bike. Anything to get the heart rate back up. Might try spinning, I guess, but nothing will impart the same feeling as an early morning run before the day gets out of control.

As Tom asked, check your meds for side effects that may hold you back. After my surgery, I was taking metoprolol (beta blocker) at 100mg/day. It felt like I was towing a sled full of boulders everywhere I went. Not short of breath, but no capacity. Over the two years since surgery, we (cardio and I) have reduced my dosage to 25mg/day, and I feel much better. It would be worth a talk with your cardio - unless you aren't taking any heart meds.

Also, as the others have said, give things time. While you may be clinically "healed" at 8-12 months, many of us did not feel "normal" again until well after that time. For me, it was probably somewhere between 18 and 24 months before I got away from the feelings of diminished ability.

Ditto over here - I'm nowhere near what I used to be able to do!

I've also got a love/hate/hate relationship with the TM - I NEVER used to run on one until after surgery when I became very very cautious about running in the extreme heat - or the extreme cold - or even in a stiff wind.....okay let's be honest - now I run on the TM when it's raining, when it's snowing, when it's too cloudy, too sunny, too dark.....LOL

Seriously, I used to run in all conditions - now not so much.

But I am happiest just being outside running at a comfortable pace, that works for me. I think you can get better, but it's like everyone says - it's going to take some time.

Meanwhile, try to enjoy the ride!
Rachel

A few years ago, a couple of us on another forum tried a little experiment running races with and without taking beta blockers. Medical people go bonkers when you start messing with meds, but we took our chances. It wasn't that we stopped taking the stuff for a long period, but just delayed taking it one day until after the race.

Depending on the dosage you take, it can slow you down by anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute per mile. Blood thinners and statins have no effect on speed.

Rachel - I have the same "relationship" with the treadmill. Mine, however, started a couple of years prior to my surgery. I found that extremes of weather (In Chicago? Whoda' thunk?) made it really uncomfortable for me to run outdoors (I was an avid outdoor runner/jogger for about 25 years by then). I started going to a fitness center and found that although the treadmill obviously (to me) required less effort, I could adjust my routine to get the workout I wanted. I wasn't trying to compete. I only wanted to preserve as much cardio fitness as possible to delay surgery and to have the best chance to cruise through it.

Fast-forward a few years. As I've aged (won't admit to being able to look back on middle age, but it is close to that), my knees just will not take the impact of running any more. I miss it very badly, but I just cannot tolerate days of limping just to have one day of running. So, I changed my exercise routine. I swim like a rock, so I had to find other ways to adjust. I ride an Airdyne exercise bike for about 15-20 minutes at a 15-16 MPH pace, then I "power-walk" on the treadmill for another 15-20 minutes at a 14:30 min/mile pace, with a 10% incline. This combo gives me 30-40 minutes of working with my heart rate elevated to about 85% of max. This takes care of the technical exercise need. Then, as often as possible, I walk outdoors at the same 14 min/mile pace - just to enjoy the fact that I'm outdoors. Some days I walk at lunch and then again in the evening. These walks are my time to think, solve problems and generally control my stress level.

I mention all this simply to spotlight the point that in spite of our heart condition (and/or other medical conditions), we can adapt exercise routines to meet our individual needs - and life, to me, seems so much better when I exercise.

I completely agree with you Steve - my life is SO MUCH better when I move, however I do it!!!

I also like your workout!

Rachel

Latest posts

Back