Ross vs On-X

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To simplify things, my story is at http://mendedhearts.gnosishosting.net/Chapters/Resources/138#Inspiring

Having received a Homograft in 1998 and then an On-X in 2010, I feel qualified to speak to both. They both have their pluses and minuses. The Ross, to me, only has minuses and I will leave it at that.
- Would I have done things differently if I could? I don;t think so.
- Would I coach someone to get a mechanical the first time? Not really, however I would explain the pluses and minuses to let them make a determination. One thing I would say is that you are crazy for not getting a mechanical the first time, however I would say that with a smile on my face since I was that crazy and still believe it was the right decision. I had a great time wrestling and doing other adventurous things with my homograft. I would have missed that stuff.

It is a very tough decision to make. For my 2nd, I was changing my mind almost minute by minute until I made a decision. In the end, the thought of a 3rd surgery was more than I could bare. I would not wish more than one surgery on anyone. For someone who has not gone through this, it is hard to imagine what recovery is like. For someone who has not gone through this, it can be difficult to fully grasp how dangerous this surgery is and the toll in can take on a body. Not for the faint at heart (I just couldn't resist that one)

At 34 years old, I thought a surgery every 15 years...no problem. When the 2nd came up at 12 years, I thought what if the next is in only 2 years. Could I handle that?

I cried like a baby as I was rolled into the 2nd surgery. I was scared. Not of the surgery, but of the recovery.

Back