ROSS Procedure Talk

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your reply! How do you feel 8 weeks after the OP? As if you had a new heart?

I feel great. Still healing but already feel the benefits (especially when walking up hills ). Im looking forward to pushing it in the gym when im back up to full capacity.

Why wouldnt you regret of your decision? In other words, why did you choose the Ross procedure? And, what do you mean with calculated risk? That this OP is riskier?

The advantages that were important to me personally were excellent hemodymanics, freedom from ACT, native tissue and very favorable statistics when it came to re-operation and failure rates. In 10 years if it fails why would I regret it ....once the decision is made you cant go back, revisit or wonder "what if" scenarios. Other members that have had failures with Ross could have chosen a tissue valve at the time and had early failure or even mech and had trouble with ACT/TIAs etc. They might have said at this stage ... why didn't I have the Ross XX years ago ?

As regarding Risk. I don't believe so. The single most important aspect for me throughout this journey was my utmost confidence I had in my surgeon and his team.

Go with whats good for you and suits your own life. Theres no right decision as they all come with their advantages and disadvantages.

I feel great. Still healing but already feel the benefits (especially when walking up hills ). Im looking forward to pushing it in the gym when im back up to full capacity.

All the best for a speedy healing period!

The advantages that were important to me personally were excellent hemodymanics, freedom from ACT, native tissue and very favorable statistics when it came to re-operation and failure rates. In 10 years if it fails why would I regret it ....once the decision is made you cant go back, revisit or wonder "what if" scenarios. Other members that have had failures with Ross could have chosen a tissue valve at the time and had early failure or even mech and had trouble with ACT/TIAs etc. They might have said at this stage ... why didn't I have the Ross XX years ago ?

You are right! It`s all about the future, and it is uncertain...

As regarding Risk. I don't believe so. The single most important aspect for me throughout this journey was my utmost confidence I had in my surgeon and his team.

Did you have the surgery with Dr. Stelzer in the US, or in Ireland with another surgeon?

Go with whats good for you and suits your own life. Theres no right decision as they all come with their advantages and disadvantages.

I totally agree with your opinion. I think I am gonna do also the Ross procedure! Hope everything will go just well! It will! C´mon! :D

Hey Pete,

I had the Ross Procedure when I was 22. That was 17 years ago. I was very active and continue to be active -- biking, skiing, surfing, backpacking but i hate to run. For me it was the only way to go. I had zero problems with the procedure and in 17 years the only time I went to the cardiologist was for an annual check up. I do take a small dose of Losartan prophylactically for my heart. With a Ross you will need surgery again in the future.

I found out a couple of weeks ago that it is time for me to replace my aorta again. Still, I am very happy I got 17 years out of my first surgery.

M

p.s.,

I'm riding the Kings Ridge GranFondo in Santa Rosa, CA tomorrow. A great bike event.

Hey my friends!

it´s been quite some time since my last post. Before my operation I kind of disappeared from the scene, but now I am back. I finally decided myself to undergo the Ross Operation. I value the thing that I dont have to take anticoagulants, and that I dont have to watch out everytime I play, say, basketball, one of my favorite sports. I have accepted the idea of being operated again. Only time knows when. Thats why I try to live day by day, trying to get as much as possible from my Auto- and Homograft. In a couple of weeks I am going to rehab, where I expect to be at full potential. Now, after almost a month after my OP, I feel good. I still have pain on my muscules principally (from my right upper back and neck). I also try to be as careful as I can regarding my breastbone and the wound. I try not to stretch and carry things. Luckily my mother is taking care of me know. I feel like a child again when I see and feel how my mother pampers me when preparing dinner or helping me lay down. Thank God!

Now I just have to be patient, a virtue that, if you dont have it yet, time will force you to learn...

Hey my friends!

it´s been quite some time since my last post. Before my operation I kind of disappeared from the scene, but now I am back. I finally decided myself to undergo the Ross Operation. I value the thing that I dont have to take anticoagulants, and that I dont have to watch out everytime I play, say, basketball, one of my favorite sports. I have accepted the idea of being operated again. Only time knows when. Thats why I try to live day by day, trying to get as much as possible from my Auto- and Homograft. In a couple of weeks I am going to rehab, where I expect to be at full potential. Now, after almost a month after my OP, I feel good. I still have pain on my muscules principally (from my right upper back and neck). I also try to be as careful as I can regarding my breastbone and the wound. I try not to stretch and carry things. Luckily my mother is taking care of me know. I feel like a child again when I see and feel how my mother pampers me when preparing dinner or helping me lay down. Thank God!

Now I just have to be patient, a virtue that, if you dont have it yet, time will force you to learn...

Hi Erik, Good to hear that you are doing well especially mom taking care of you - you will be up and running in no time. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Hi Erik, Good to hear that you are doing well especially mom taking care of you - you will be up and running in no time. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Heys hi my friend! Thanks for the wishes; yes i am lucky to have had my mom taking care of me. Now she´s back in Peru, where I am from, and me doing the rehab in Austria, where I now live.

Wish you the best too! Cheers!

Latest posts

Back