Ross Procedure - 7/1/2014 - My Story

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronmaninTraining

Prior to my surgery I found the posts providing a day by day log of their hospital visit to be very helpful. I won't do a day by day as my stay had some complications, but I will attempt to hit some of the major concerns most people have. Overall the surgery isn't terrible....it is tough at times, but an achievement once you get through it.

First let me provide a quick summary. Found to have a bicuspid aortic valve at a young age. At age 29 it was time to address the severe leak and ascending aortic aneurysm. Due to being very active I was concerned about being on blood thinners so valve selection was tough. I'm a wuss when it comes to needles (blood thinners as many know require regular testing) so when the surgeon stated I was a perfect candidate for the ross procedure the decision came easy. The plan for my surgery was first to try a repair and if that didn't work continue on with the ross procedure. Unfortunately the repair didn't work and my ventricle collapsed leading me to be paddled before continuing on with the ross procedure (scary to think after the fact). Other than getting readmitted after a checkup for pleural effusion (the procedure to get tapped isn't anything to worry about) the recovery has been great and every day gets better.

My concerns prior and my experience after...
Breathing tube - Due to extra excitement in the OR I remained intubated until roughly 7:30am the next day. Early AM I was awake for periods of time and resorted to the pen and paper where the nurse and wife got a kick out of the pages upon pages of questions i asked. Having it in wasn't bad and the issue of taking it out was quick and painless. I did have some trauma to my vocal cords and in the beginning could only whisper. Now at 7 weeks my voice is almost back to normal.

Needles and more - I asked to get gassed once in the OR so I didn't feel anything being attached. Not liking needles at all I thought it would be awful having IVs in the necks arms and hands throughout my stay, but it wasn't bad at all. My right arm did get pretty beat up with needles during my initial 8 day stay...it is back to normal now. I was at a children s hospital so use of the numbing spray and infant needles I'm sure helped out a lot. Removal of the neck and arterial line wasn't bad.

Chest tubes/Pacing Wires - This was my biggest concern prior to surgery. Throughout the couples days I had them in I hardly noticed them. Removal wasn't bad at all.....My best way to explain the feeling was like getting your shoe stuck in mud and the mud just not wanting to give it back. The tubes were removed and stitched before you know it....the little bit of suction of your body not wanting to give up the tube is weird, but doesn't hurt and is quick. Pacing wires were trumped by my concern for chest tube removal....they didn't hurt at all.

Pain - Initially you will be getting the good drugs so won't have any pain at all except for some coughing. Later on you will move to just pills and as you schedule it right it won't be bad at all.

I placed so much concern with the above items I didn't fully know or worry about some of the below items....
Back and should pain - This was annoying, but nothing terrible. Work with your nurses to get a good medication schedule and the pain will be controlled. Stand up straight and maintain good posture as this will help to avoid any unnecessary pain during recovery.

Coughing - Use the pillow and when you cough despite it hurting get it all out. The quicker you get all that extra fluid out the better it will be down the road.

Breathing - Use the spirometer and take deep breaths as much as possible. I unfortunately had a night or two with the cpap machine and I would have to say that was the worst part of the stay ( the full mask and setting on the machine was just to much for me).

Open heart surgery seems like the Mount Everest of surgeries, but like i detailed it really isn't that bad. Valve selection is a personal decision and would have to be one of the toughest parts. Being at a childrens hospital I saw little kids going through the same surgery and knew if they can do it anyone can. I know i didn't provide a day by day stay as my 11 day stay was unique (8 days initially and 3 for pleural effusion), but I hope i hit the major items everyone worries about.

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Have to say the ventilator and chest drains are what i am most worried about, hopefully i have the same experience as you there.

Hi,

I have to agree with IronmaninTraining, my chest drains were removed on day 2, it felt a little odd, 'shoe in mud' is a good description. The pacer wire was completely painless, the wire itself was longer than I expected though.

I can honestly say I had no pain post op from the op but my back ached a lot, I am naturally a side sleeper so laying on my but in a partial upright position made my shoulders quite uncomfortable - a back rub from the nurse helped as did pain meds.

I think the thing I really hadn't thought about pre op was how helpless I would feel/be, as I was not allowed to use my hands/arms, for any type of leverage - now however I have abs of steel so that's a bonus.

I am nearly 9 weeks post op so early days, apparently, get used to hearing that (!!) I don't have the stamina I had before yet, but really, truthfully my experience and hopefully yours was not bad, I wouldn't volunteer to go round again, but I would also not be afraid to, if and when, and for me it is probably when, I went for a bioprosthetic valve, the time comes.

A positive attitude goes along way my personal plan for the day was; turn up, lay down, go to sleep, wake up, get up and get on with it, it has worked well so far for me.

Best zipper wishes,

Red

I have to say that the ventilator wasn't a problem at all for me and it was something that I had been really dreading. I don't remember it at all ! Got hubby to take a photo of me while I was still unconcious on it so I would know what it looked like. The drainage tubes didn't hurt a bit for me either, no sensation at all - I was told to count to three and hold my breath and out they were pulled ! I had a lot of pain post op though, not the first day in ICU, that was perfect, but later when they moved me to tramadol and dyhdrocoeine which gave awful side effects and didn't help that much I have to say. I had to stop taking them after a week due to side effects, was put back on morphine but things bad and I had to have no pain killers. It was pretty rough for the first three weeks and I was nearly admitted again…but I wasn't and now I'm seven months on. Just came back from echocardiogram which looks okay, there's still a bit of 'damage' to the heart, residual from the surgery, but that sometimes happens the cardiologist said and nothing to worry about.

One point i forgot to mention was temperature regulating and night sweats. I'm pretty much through the night sweats, but i do have some trouble getting the perfect temperature to be comfortable at. The night sweats were by the far worst part of recovery as i was going through shirts and bedding like crazy. I learned quickly that piling towels under me helped absorb most of the sweat and helped me sleep longer. Prior to that I slept for only a couple hours before being annoyed with the sweat i was drenched in.

Latest posts

Back