Rode the road bike at 8 weeks. Finally.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67walkon

The surgeon said to wait 8 weeks before I rode or lifted anything, etc. Yesterday was 8 weeks and this morning I got on the bike! It went surprisingly well. I limited the time to 30 minutes, and actually went 33. It was tempting to go further, but I didn't.

It seemed that my HR responded much more normally on the bike than it has walking or doing some light jogging. Maybe because it is a more familiar exercise, I don't know.

When walking and doing some light jogging, the metotoprol keeps my HR down pretty low and the highest I can normally get it is high 80's. That had been troubling me. On the bike, my avg HR was 92, and most of the riding time, it was more like around 95 or so. I looked back at my old logs (because I am mildly anal retentive about this stuff) and when I first started working on serious riding, I had quite a few avg HR's under 100 for relatively shorter rides like half an hour to maybe an hour or so. I have just always had a slow, and I thought efficient, heart.

After a few months of riding seriously, I was able to pretty much cruise at 16 to 17 mph for hours with an avg. HR in the 110 range, although it would creep up after a while. If I pushed up to the 20 mph+ range, it would go into the 140 range.

I think that means my heart is responding pretty well. The biggest battle now is going to be holding back and not overdoing it!

It really feels good to be back doing stuff like this!

John

Great

Great

John, good job...keep at it. Some days will be better than others working out...but hey...we're still working out!

Good job John. One thing to remember is your body will tell you when you are overdoing it, whether it's biking or jogging. If you don't trust your body to tell you then error on the side of not doing too much.

John -

Good for you! It is soooooooo wonderful to do things again, isn't it?

Congrats,
Ruth

Back in the Saddle

Back in the Saddle

Hi John,

It's good to hear that you're back in the saddle.

Your blood pressure meds will probably have a noticable impact on how high you can get your heart rate. I was on metoprolol XL for a short period of time and it kept my heart rate under 120 unless I really made an effort to exercise intensly. My current daily dose of diovan has less of an impact.

Listen to your body as you get back into your cycling routine. It will let you know how much you can do.

-Philip

Latest posts

Back