Restrictions after surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri73

What kind of restrictions do we have after surgery? I remember sitting down when taking a shower, but I think I washed my own hair (?)... can I put on shirts over my head once I'm home or do I need more button up shirts? (last time it was winter, so my attire will be very different this time around)...

Obviously can't reach very high or lift very much, not too many stairs...

I guess my biggest question are about the things I should purchase and make sure I have on hand in these next 3 weeks before surgery - that way it's my style. :)

I also remember struggling really hard to get out of bed and would have to have people lift me - I do have access to an electric recliner, but would prefer to sleep in bed, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I read somewhere about having lots of pillows and sleeping more elevated, and that may work.

Thanks!
Kerri

CLOTHING ? a couple shirts that are front opening or are loose & have very wide neck line. Elastic waist pants. I had a hard time pulling jeans laterally across my body to button / zip.

SHOWER ? Used the shower stool only twice; sister assistance a couple times to shampoo; but glad they were ?on call? in the other room ?cuz I felt pathetic and like a cold wet cat by the time I was done!!!!

OUT OF BED ? My sisters gave me a slight lift to get out of bed after some leg leverage motion on my part. I definitely needed that help for the first 2 ? 3 weeks. I slept angled on lots of pillows and gradually weaned myself down on my pillow count.

AROUND THE HOUSE ? One of my sisters stayed with me for 3 weeks. Two would?ve been sufficient, but I used week 3 to ?graduate & test? my independence. We moved things down to lower shelves in kitchen & bathroom cabinets; clothing in baskets as I couldn?t pull open dresser drawers; strings on the shades so I could pull down. Purchased milk & juice in quarts instead of gallons; and of course freezer-to-oven meals ready to go.

I did not purchase anything. After a couple of weeks I did rehab for an hour 3 times a week until the insurance ran out. As far as everything else, I operated at about 50%, although I could have done much more, for about 6 weeks,

Kerri,

Loose clothing, actually scrubs work great!

Slip on shoes...can't bend over to tie them.

As far as having someone help lift you, my nurses in the hospital specifically told my husband "If you help her, you'll hurt her." I had to do all the in and out of bed myself.

Of course no lifting, no stretching your arms overhead or out to your sides. Move things down from high shelves...don't worry about the cluttered look. I didn't use a shower chair...as a matter of fact, one of the things I had to do before they'd let me out is take a shower.

There really isn't much special you need. (of course everyone is different, and all doctors have different discharge instructions.) If possible, try NOT to be discharged on the weekend! (Not your call...I know.)

I used a shower chair for about 2 weeks but was able to wash my own hair. My hubby helped me out of bed when I couldn't do it. I slept in an electric recliner the first couple nights. I walked up stairs with my hubby behind me... Pumphead had my feet confused and couldn't concentrate on what foot to put first when going up the stairs... Still that way sometimes but not like in the beginning. I wore button down shirts or very loose tshirts with a vneck. Loose pants. Put a few cups on the counter so you can reach them... Opening the fridge was tough the first few days along with the Ibuprofen bottle to open. I wish you luck but I am sure you will be just fine. OH... shoes... none that tie.

Thanks everyone! So flip flops it is - I might go buy some lighter clothing, and especially some loose pants/shorts that slip on or whatever... this should be interesting. My surgery is 3 weeks from today, the nerves are really starting to settle in!! :)

Kerri

Try and keep yourself busy as much as possible...I don't remember if you have children or not but play and horse around with them as much as possible now cuz it will be awhile after surgery that you will be able to do that. I want so bad to just pick my little 4 yr old up and squeeze her and swing her around like I used to do.... NOT HAPPENING YET. So enjoy your time and try not to worry (i know it's easier said than done). The day or two before your surgery you will notice a calming. It's kind of going from scared shitless to ok... I am ready for this. It was sort of eary for me to go from one extreme to the next so fast but it was the greatest feeling in the world.

I bet! I don't remember being nervous at all the last time, but now I have a husband and we have a house we just moved into a year ago... life is just different now than it was a couple years out of college. :) No kids yet - hoping once we get this all behind us that we can focus on that! (be it naturally, adoption or surrogacy... those are all decisions yet to come).

Thanks again!
Kerri

Well you just don't worry you pretty little head off and just enjoy spending time with your hubby. There is alot of good things waiting for you after surgery.

Hi, Kerri. I was allowed to reach my arms over my head, but both of my arms had to go together--no reaching with just one arm. That allowed me to wash my own hair and put on loose pull over tops. Since my husband had to put on my TEDS every day, he didn't mind doing my shoes.

I wouldn't sleep in a bed for a couple of weeks. Even with 6 pillows it was difficult to lie down. I felt a lot of pressure in my back/chest when reclined.

At two weeks, I stopped feeling so fragile and that was a huge relief.

Once I hit three weeks, all restrictions were off, I was driving, ok'd to go back to work and told just to listen to my body when I hurt or was fatigued.

Once you get past the first couple of weeks, you will be so happy that your surgery is behind you! Good luck.

I wore t-shirts, track pants. trick is to sit on the bed, put on undies and trackpants, then, holding the waistbands, stand up and pullthem up. I wore pull-on sports bras (my surgeon had this thing about his well-endowed ladies being well-suppored, scar heals better if it is not disturbed too much). showered from first day home, but we had a walk-in shower, but always when hubby was at home. I remember him placing stuff on the counter, like bread, that was too low for me to reach, and leaving milk in smaller containers as I couldn't lift it out the fridge. Last thing hedid if he had to leave was to makesure that everything I could need was above my knee height, and below my shoulder-height!:D

now with a broken arm, it is a whole new set of rules - caps off meds, he has to open bottles, cut up my food, and wrap my arm in cling-film (he insists he's going to stick a stamp on me and put me in the mail one of these das lol) before I can shower.

You'll be fine, just remember you need to recover, and your house may be a little upset for a week or two, but the world won't end 'cos you've left the toaster on the countertop

definitely a front closure sports bra

definitely a front closure sports bra

Totally forgot about that. The nearly flat chested nurse said, "Why bother with a bra?"...while the wise well-endowed visiting nurse took one look at me and said, "Honey, let's get that bra on right NOW!"

The weight of your breasts will pull on the incision, especially when laying down. I even slept in mine, per her recomendation.

kerri- you have 3 weeks to go- i have 3 weeks behind me! quart milk, juice bottles are key- also, cotton loose sport bras have saved me-LOTs of pillows for the bed... if you dont have a recliner, you can rent one for a month-my couches and chairs are all deep and low and hard to get out of.. i prefer straight back chairs and the rec liner. and i have hit target, walmart and the limited so far for high neck short sleeve blouses and tshirts as i realized after the fact i didnt have any and you are supposed to keep the scar out of the sun for a few months! also- a trick to get out of bed is to either lift one of your legs up to help your stomach muscles pull you up and also plant your elbow in the bed and put your other arm on top of your hand to help yourself up! keep busy and go out alot with friends!

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the bra too! I woke up after my surgery with an awful binder on which they were going to send home with me. The wonderful surgical fellow in residence gave me two front-closing surgical bras instead!

Even those felt like they restricted my breathing and when I took my 5 minute walks without a bra--I would hold myself up so I didn't pull open the incision.

My husband called my walks "melon marches or taking my melons to market"

Gosh,I am only 9 weeks out and I've already forgotten some of the bad stuff.

it is really hard to get comfortable in bed and if i got to uncomfortable then i would get up and go to the recliner. but i am like you i would rather sleep in bed. when i got home it was a week and a half after surgery since i had to have a pacemaker put in. but the best way for me to get out out of bed even when it was uncomfortable was to roll over on my side then put my legs over the edge of the bed first and use my arms to bring me to a sitting position. i never had a problem with putting my hands over my head to pull a shirt over my head. i sleep in tank tops and boxers and have never needed help getting them on except in the hospital.

Totally forgot about that. The nearly flat chested nurse said, "Why bother with a bra?"...while the wise well-endowed visiting nurse took one look at me and said, "Honey, let's get that bra on right NOW!"

The weight of your breasts will pull on the incision, especially when laying down. I even slept in mine, per her recomendation.

I am 2 months post op and still wearing my sports bras that I started wearing after surgery.

also- a trick to get out of bed is to either lift one of your legs up to help your stomach muscles pull you up and also plant your elbow in the bed and put your other arm on top of your hand to help yourself up!

Is wondering how many people went and tried this after reading it??? that's the same way I managed to get out of bed when nobody was around to help me. It works.

also- a trick to get out of bed is to either lift one of your legs up to help your stomach muscles pull you up and also plant your elbow in the bed and put your other arm on top of your hand to help yourself up!

Is wondering how many people went and tried this after reading it??? that's the same way I managed to get out of bed when nobody was around to help me. It works.

I think getting out of bed could be a whole thread in itself. :) I just remember my back pain got to be so bad and, and combined with the chest pain it was just tough to get up at all. It will be interesting to see how this round goes. :) I'll be thankful for any tips and tricks as possible - I'll stuff this one up my sleeve. :)

Thanks for the reminder about a bra! Now the trick is to find a good/soft one that zips/clips up the front! (that's my new mission for the next few days) :)

Remember to practice bottom shuffling....do not put your weight on your hands to sit up. It's agony! (experience). Use both hands to lift anything so weight is equal. Make sure you have someone else to lift pans etc as they will be too heavy at first. Don't try ironing for a while...that hurts too. I had baggy button up shirts as I had my neck lines in for 17 days so did not want any tangles or catches. Also low waisted track pants in case you end up with tubes or pacing wires in your stomach. (experience again!) No socks. My husband treated me to an adjustable bed while I was inhospital. It was a godsend. Just like the beds in hospital. I would recommend one or to sleep in your recliner for the first few days at home at least. You can always try your bed every few days!
Hope it goes goes fantastically.
Lotti

Latest posts

Back