Rehab and driving

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would second Ruthies comments. I think rehab would be a great thing to do for YOU. You could get some help and comfort from others that know what you are going through. I know this forum helps, but speaking to others that are going through similar situations could help. And of course I think we can all use the physical monitoring and pushing. I would wait until you are comfortable driving but then make it clear to your family that it is necessary. I am guessing that if you tell them that it is optional that they will try to talk you out of it.

I really feel for all you mom's out there! Bless you all! I can't imagine recovering with that kind of responsibility. My goodness!

Full disclosure though ... I haven't started rehab yet and am running over a mile a day at almost 11 weeks. But I am still going to try it when I get off the darn waiting list! I figure I'm going to be the rock star of my class.

I guess every rehab is different, but I remember feeling so cared for there. That was a very nice feeling when you're not sure how much you can do. Our rehab must have had a requirement that only the nicest, most encouraging folks could work there. Laura, if yours were like that- and you could get there, once you're able, without a hassle- it might do you a world of good :)

I guess every rehab is different, but I remember feeling so cared for there. That was a very nice feeling when you're not sure how much you can do. Our rehab must have had a requirement that only the nicest, most encouraging folks could work there. Laura, if yours were like that- and you could get there, once you're able, without a hassle- it might do you a world of good :)

Laura,

Ruthie brought up a very important point: people that care! And you NEED this right now, Laura. I went for my evaluation this past week and I immediately got this impression and counseling was even offered to me at mine...someone to talk to "professionally" if I wanted. Not sure if this is something thata's offered to you at your rehab, but it might be something to consider. I'm not saying you need it...i'm just saying that I think it's quite common to feel alone after OHS, like no one seems to "understand." In fact, that's why many of us are here, to feel a sense of commonality, a sense of understanding. I'm fortunate in that I have loving, supportive family, but I, too, have my moments; it's something one can't understand until they've personally experienced it. So long story short, perhaps rehab would be good for you mentally and emotionally...and perhaps you could find someone to help you out there. These are hard times and you need understanding and support. And sometimes you find it where you least expect it. I know this to be true. You learn who your friends are, that's for certain. People I thought I was closest to seemed like they were affraid of me, while others that I didn't consider myself all that close to were there and are still here. Amazing!

Thinking of you,
Dee

I have been to rehab for 4 sessions now and I am 11 weeks out from my surgery. I have gained confidence through the exercise since I am still dealing with PVC's and a "loud" heart that makes it difficult to sleep at night. Rehab has helped me to embrace/believe I am going to be better than ever.

AVR and Aorta graft
3/11/09
UAB

Rehab is good IF you can go. If you can discipline yourself to MAKE yourself push yourself just a little harder then you think you should, you can rehab yourself. I would contact the facility to see if they can provide you with an excercise sheet as for what all they'd have you do and go from there. I started out working on it vigoriously and after a week, stopped. I did not have the discipline to continue.

I know that some facilities do provide rides for the older generations, and for the handicapped. Could you work something out this way? I would call them, your hospital, your church, and insurance provider to at least try to work out something. As always I wish you the best of luck, and God Bless. :D

Once again I am so sorry to hear of your woes. I myself am wondering about driving. They say 4 weeks but my doctor wanted me to put it off longer. I am at 6 weeks but have not tried yet. I really hope things start getting better. I know it is painful right now but you will feel better at some point.

Laura,

Others have already given you excellent suggestions about cardiac rehab and your kids off for the summer. Can you make a game of some sort out of your recovery with your kids? I am thinking more along the lines of a positive motivation award for being cooprative on helping Mom. Of course you will have to define "cooperative.", and some type of age appropriate award.

My surgeon told me I could drive after 4 weeks. When that time came, I still did not feel like driving. I did start again after 5 weeks. For me, that was too soon. I could not turn my head to look at my blind spots. It caused too much pain. I also think I was still under the influence of many meds from the hosptial. Bottom line, be very, very careful for several weeks after you resume driving.

Please keep us posted.

Karl

Hi Laura,

I don't have advice about the benefits of rehab, but just wanted to say I hope you do get to take care of yourself when the kids are off school. I agree the older ones should definitely be helping you. I hope it is not too hectic and you get the rest you need.

All the best.

I did not go to rehab last time. I sometimes wished I did. I had a treadmill, and got on it quite a bit, and pushed myself when I felt it was appropriate. I pushed a little too hard a few times, and that set my recovery back a little.

I may go this time, for piece of mind that I'm not pushing too hard, or not enough. It would be kinda nice to have someone watching over my vitals.

As for driving, I did drive after about 2 weeks.. I got tired of having to have someone shuttle me around. I did manage to stay out of my hot rod, until later in the year, but I felt safe in my truck. I'm not suggesting that you do this.

I've been going to rehab 3 weeks and it has made me feel fabulous; however, the drive is horrendous. The pkg. is 9 per day and 3 times a week that adds up. I see my cardiologist this week and I'm going to see if I can transfer to a hospital facility over by my house so I can continue rehab.....that is how good I felt going. It is good mentally and physically. I truly think it makes one stronger and I think it benefits one more to go than not to do it.

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Back