rediagnosis after TEE test

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stilldreamin

I was back in to see my cardiologist today... he had the results of the TEE test I had on Dec 23rd. He said my aortic valve is not bicuspid, but it has a leaflet that has prolapsed. He thinks the way the blood is regurgitating has caused them to underestimate the amount of regurgitation.

He has me scheduled for a cath on monday, and he's doing the referral to the surgeon right away. He thinks it can be repaired, but said that would of course be up to the surgeon. The cath he's having done will also be measuring pressures or something.

I am not familiar with this kind of prolapse. I've heard of the mitral valve prolapse, but aortic? We don't know now how this has happened. Or why. I was probably not born with this.

Is anyone familiar with this?

Like everyone else... I just want all this over with...

Thanks again to everyone for their words and encouragement and advice! I don't think I'd be in the mind set I'm in if it wasn't for you!

We do have a few members who have had AV repair, and hopefully they will answer your post.
That's good that you will get a cath soon, the pressures across the valve are important.

It sounds like they want to have as much accurate information as possible before surgery is performed. If the TEE brought pressures into question then the direct measurements they can do during a cath would clarify things. Aortic valve repair is less common on these boards but I know there are others who have had it done. The mitral valve is located in an area of lower pressure than the aortic valve is and I believe the aortic is a little more difficult to do a repair (possibly because of the higher pressures). Let them gather all the information they need and see what the recommendation will be. I always love hearing about successful repairs but successful replacements rate right up there as well.

Latest posts

Back