Recently told I need valve replacement but may not be able to take warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The INR test should be done WEEKLY, not once a month.
INR can change from day to day, and waiting a month to detect changes could be extremely dangerous."

YES it can change from day to day, so WHAT? dont over react.
It depends on what you eat.
This process is called a LOOP, we change the input to control the output. If the output is OFF we change the input.
This is a VERY VERY VERY well known process ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Now to the point of my above comments. changing the input faster than the process can respond leads to an unstable loop.

And that leads me back to something I have said here a few times is DONT TAKE ADVICE FROM PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM its your LIFE not theirs.

Reactions: V__
DONT TAKE ADVICE FROM PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM its your LIFE not theirs.
Good point. I plan to take your advice. Wait, you’re on this forum. Now, you have me really stumped. If I take your advice, I'm listening to someone on this forum :unsure:

How about if I apply your advice, but selectively? What if I only listen to some people on this forum, but not others? :unsure:
In other words, what if I apply a little critical thinking to the advice and suggestions? Maybe it's a good idea to apply that to any advice we receive, regardless of the source.

I get your point about not listening to random people online. But I really don’t consider most of the people here as random anymore. I have had a great deal of correspondence with people on this forum, including phone calls and even getting together in person on occasion. I consider many members of this forum friends, and not random people.

And even though I have not met him in person, I’ve read hundreds of the posts by @dick0236 over the years and do not consider him a random internet person. Dick has been on warfarin for over 55 years, @Superman for over 30 years. Do I listen to the things they say about warfarin management? You bet. This does not mean that I take every single word as the gospel. But I believe in being our own advocate, when it comes to our health. That involves having in-depth discussions with my doctor, my cardiologist and my surgeon. It involves doing a lot of reading. And, yes, it involves listening the to the wisdom of others who have been walking a similar path as me, perhaps with decades more experience than I have.

Last edited:
Good point. I plan to take your advice. Wait, you’re on this forum. Now, you have me really stumped. If I take your advice, I'm listening to someone on this forum :unsure:

How about if I apply your advice, but selectively? What if I only listen to some people on this forum, but not others? :unsure:

I get your point about not listening to random people online. But I really don’t consider most of the people here as random anymore. I have had a great deal of correspondence with people on this forum, including phone calls and even getting together in person on occasion. I consider many members of this forum friends, and not random people.

And even though I have not met him in person, I’ve read hundreds of the posts by @dick0236 over the years and do not consider him a random internet person. Dick has been on warfarin for over 55 years, @Superman for over 30 years. Do I listen to the things they say about warfarin management? You bet. This does not mean that I take every single word as the gospel. But I believe in being our own advocate, when it comes to our health. That involves having in-depth discussions with my doctor, my cardiologist and my surgeon. It involves doing a lot of reading. And, yes, it involves listening the to the wisdom of others who have been walking a similar path as me, perhaps with decades more experience than I have.
OK I guess I gota say it :(((
I dont know who ANYONE on this forum is and YOU dont either. For all we know you could have 10 names, do you really think that everyone has only one account with one name?

OK I guess I gota say it :(((
I dont know who ANYONE on this forum is and YOU dont either. For all we know you could have 10 names, do you really think that everyone has only one account with one name?
You’re giving a lot of advice for someone who doesn’t believe anyone should be following it.

I dont know who ANYONE on this forum is and YOU dont either.
It's fine for you to speak for yourself, but please don't speak for me. You have no clue who I personally know on this forum, so please don't shoot from the hip and make across the board declarations.

For all we know you could have 10 names, do you really think that everyone has only one account with one name?
Ah, you've nailed me. I'm actually an AI bot. How did you know?

And that leads me back to something I have said here a few times is DONT TAKE ADVICE FROM PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM its your LIFE not theirs.
It's a classic problem, because it includes you (because you are on this forum)

YES it can change from day to day, so WHAT? dont over react.

I agree, keep a steady hand on the tiller

Firstly I'll say that it is the burden of the listener to then decide if what you hear (or read) is valid. If it seems invalid then either ignore it and go on your merry way or chose to rebut it and engage in a discussion.

This is the beginnings of what is called critical thinking. When I did my degree (even when I did my Masters) I did not personally know any of the authors (although I did have a phone call with one and emails with two or so) but it didn't matter.

It didn't matter because I engaged my brain and considered what they said and the evidence they supplied. Its what is meant when someone says of someone else "he's reasonable".

I'm sorry you suffered (trust me, most of us here have) but you need to integrate that into your life and make sense of it rather than turmoil of it

You've been listening to too much conspiracy talk and while some state actors (such as Russia) are willing to throw billions of dollars into invading a country (and then not backing down when its rebuffed) its not common for there to be anyone doing that on a little forum like this. At the very least you can see it in the writing styles.

You wouldn't know this but we have moderators here and even when it was just Ross accounts were verified and checked (although much of that is automated now as I understand it) for being honest. Either way they'll soon get deleted if they turn out to be spammers.

Lastly what would be the motivation? Indeed it seems to me that your own motivations are; regret, expressions of pain and a general ignorance of the literature. If you had any actual knowledge to back up your vague and poorly defined claim of:
This is a VERY VERY VERY well known process ALL OVER THE WORLD.
(which I assume is the loop of adjustment and reading and then adjustment again, but you didn't make that clear) then you should have linked it or referred to the study. I know of none.

As it happens I've written a book about INR management which I'm yet to publish, and my hesitancy in publishing is exactly people who you remind me of. You know nothing about who is here (and much could have been learned by reading some posts but you haven't) and yet feel confident in deriding and diminishing.

and you're not helping Leon

Best Wishes

Thank you Protimenow I will talk to the people that advise me on this later this week :))
please do report back what "they" said.

Maybe you could ask a question while you're they. Ask "what would they do if your INR was over 4 or under 2. I'll be curious to know if they say "do nothing"

That has to be the most intelligent question in this thread, thanks.

That has happened 1 time in the past month, no idea why. It was 4.56* they said no warfarin for 2 days then half dose for the next 2, then retest.

* best guess at 73 my memory is not great.

It's a classic problem, because it includes you (because you are on this forum)

When you post on a forum there is a certain level or reader comprehension is assumed

I agree, keep a steady hand on the tiller

In other words, what if I apply a little critical thinking to the advice and suggestions? Maybe it's a good idea to apply that to any advice we receive, regardless of the source.

OMG Chuck please think about your comment, if I was not on the forum I could not of made the post. Its like someone else here explained, its up to the reader to decide. My comment was what I consider a good starting point :)

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies and advice. My surgery is planned for Jan and I still have not decided. I had planned to go for the mechanical one, but the surgeon called and asked me to reconsider if I ever want to have children.

Now I am back to being undecided - I’ve read Pellicle‘s suggested threads which were helpful, but my surgeon and cardiologist believe it’s probably too risky to consider pregnancy on warfarin. I also have an underactive thyroid and apparently warfarin and levothyroxine don’t work well together, but I’m yet to research this further. I’ve been advised to consider the bovine valve for now, and a mechanical one next time. The comment someone made about risks of each surgery does worry me, especially regarding the effect on cognitive function, so I think I have some more research to do!

Last edited:
OMG Chuck please think about your comment, if I was not on the forum I could not of made the post
Apparently, you missed my point completely.

Do you not see the irony in someone, who is on a forum, yelling advice at people in all caps, on said forum, for people to not listen to anyone on the forum?

DONT TAKE ADVICE FROM PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM

It begs the question, if we are not to listen to anyone here, why are we here? To just wish everybody a happy anniversary? But, as you have pointed out, we may all be fake identities with 10 handles, so perhaps even said well wishing becomes pointless. Perhaps the forum is a place where we can drop in every few months and yell at everyone to stop listening to everyone.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies and advice. My surgery is planned for Jan and I still have not decided. I had planned to go for the mechanical one, but the surgeon called and asked me to reconsider if I ever want to have children.

Now I am back to being undecided - I’ve read Pellicle‘s suggested threads which were helpful, but my surgeon and cardiologist believe it’s probably too risky to consider pregnancy on warfarin. I also have an underactive thyroid and apparently warfarin and levothyroxine don’t work well together, but I’m yet to research this further. I’ve been advised to consider the bovine valve for now, and a mechanical one next time. The comment someone made about risks of each surgery does worry me, especially regarding the effect on cognitive function, so I think I have some more research to do!
You definitely have some very serious reasons to consider not going mechanical.

My only thought on tissue is to be mentally prepared that a second open heart is in your future at some point. And have hope that TAVR will advance enough by that time that you’ll feel like you won a prize! We just saw not too long ago an 18th anniversary of a tissue valve from one of our members. 10 -15 is probably realistic but who knows?

BTW - I went mechanical the first time around (33 years ago tomorrow) and still needed a second surgery 14 years ago due to an aneurysm. No guarantees either way. Hopefully that was my last one as I just turned 50 last year. It’ll be nice if that takes me the rest of the way.

Apparently, you missed my point completely.

Do you not see the irony in someone, who is on a forum, yelling advice at people in all caps, on said forum, for people to not listen to anyone on the forum?

It begs the question, if we are not to listen to anyone here, why are we here? To just wish everybody a happy anniversary? But, as you have pointed out, we may all be fake identities with 10 handles, so perhaps even said well wishing becomes pointless. Perhaps the forum is a place where we can drop in every few months and yell at everyone to stop listening to everyone.
How do I know you’re the real Chuck C and not just trying to trick us into a false sense of security?

OMG Chuck please think about your comment, if I was not on the forum I could not of made the post.
exactly, and because we've been advised by you to not believe anyone on the forum it mean any reader of the forum shouldn't believe you either.
So that's a fail on the ability to think rationally right there, marking you as "why would I trust this guy when he can't figure out simple things"

How do I know you’re the real Chuck C and not just trying to trick us into a false sense of security?
How would we know that some complex man in the middle attack has not been perpetrated, the words "written by him" could be a Russian flat earther who's also a MAGA guy too.

Back