Recent INR Results!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creed3

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello Everyone!
Well, I just received the results of my latest INR test. 2.3, right where they want it to be. Last week it was 2.6. They told me to stay on the 7mg and not to come back until just before Thanksgiving. I don't want to jinx anything, but I hope that I'm starting to become more stable with my coumadin levels. I asked my PCP about the home testing machine and he says he doesn't want to make that decision. He doesn't know that much about them. He told me to check with my cardiologist. I already know my cardiologist doesn't care for them. I don't think I am going to get either one of my docs to OK a machine. If I push it with my Cardio, I might be able to talk him into it, but he says he isn't completely comfortable with the accuracy.

Take Care!
Creed

Accuracy

Accuracy

If my cardio said that, I would tell him that the ProTime or the CoaguChek will both outperform the lab 90 times out of 100.

I tire of hearing the "accuracy" argument. It really is not at all valid and indicates a tad bit of ignorance on the subject.

Anyway - I know thats not very helpful, but I worked with Doctors for 10 years and they all think they know more than they do. Sure they know what to do with the results once they get them, but they have no clue what is done to get them their numbers. They hand off the blood, and a short time later some numbers come back. To them, that describes accuracy. What a farce.

Just venting on the subject...

You take coumadin so you need a machine. Thats my view. Get the doctor to keep track of his own coumadin dosing and I'll bet he gets one quicker than snot!

Hi Creed, if it helps you at all, my "Anticoagulation Clinic" actually uses a CoaguChek as its main INR testing method. They do enough Anticoagulation work to need a dedicated "Anticoagulation Pharmacist" on staff. One time they got two goofy results in a row from myself and the patient before me. They decided to do a lab draw to rule out a problem with the machine, and it agreed within .1 .

I would feel very comfortable using a machine. It would let me keep a closer eye on on my levels if I am going to be going longer in between lab tests at the docs office. I just know my insurance won't pay for one unless my doc wants me to have one. I could always look into buying one myself, but I am not sure what they cost. I'm sure they are pretty expensive, but from what I hear, well worth it.

Take Care!
Creed

I have done over 15,000 tests on CoaguChek & Coaguchek-S and I would put my hospital readmission rate up against any doctor in the country. That is what matters - how the patients do, not the "accuracy" of the machine.

Hank was too kind -- it is not a tad of ignorance -- it is a complete failure to keep up with developments in the field.

Contact www.hometestmed.com or
[email protected] for the facts.

Creed:
You are going to have to convince one of your doctors because you can't purchase a machine, on your own or through insurance, without a doctor's written order. Further, you must have a doctor who will regulate your dosage when results are in.

We paid for the Protime machine and continue to pay for supplies. The monitor has gone up in price. I believe it's somewhere around $2,000. And the supplies currently cost $10. each. I also hear that that price might increase too. While it is a costly proposition, I can tell you that I would morgage the house to get one....if I had to.

You might want to call QAS to get more information. They can send you or your doctor some articles that deal with home-testing. You might also search the net for articles on point. I continue to take our doctors various articles each time my husband visits the. The last thing I gave the doc had to do with a study in Germany involving 70,000 people. He did a double take on that one. Good luck to you. If I can help, let me know.

Questions

Questions

Creed ( Real name?)..Push for one..Do you work, are labs closed when you get off?, Do you have to travel far to Lab?..Tell you Cardiologist everything..plead.. Have QAS to Fax info on Protime to him, her..Does your Cardiologist have a good clinical Nurse? Get her in on things. I call my INR in and she always calls back. Have been on same dosage since June. Bonnie

Re: Home Testing

I bought my own ProTime unit (with a promotional discount) but continue to use the Coumadin Clinic for primary monitoring and dose adjustment. I use my home unit as a 'safety net'. Whenever I change medications, diet, or if I travel, I will feel more confident having my home unit to look for any variation. IF I see a variation, I call the clinic, arrange for them to do another test and suggest any changes in dosage. They follow the 10% (or less) recommendation referenced by Al Lodwick.

FWIW, the local clinic(s) use CoaguChek machines. My ProTime unti typically registers a lower number so I always wonder what the 'real' INR is. I have had a couple of High readings from the Lab which I question. Whichever unit is right, or closer, they both show the same trends, i.e. if one goes up, so does the other, and that is a useful guide.

'AL'

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks Everyone!

I just want to THANK everyone for all the responses. I am definately going to get as much information as I can on the Coagulation Machines. I could almost bet that my PCP won't advise me to get one. He says my whole situation is way over his head and that the only thing he will do is regulate my coumadin. My cardiologist is about an hour away. I think I may have a better chance talking him into it, eventhough he said right now he doesn't advise me using one. The docs at Cleveland told me the same thing. I believe my new cardiologist does alot of research with the hospital he works at; you would think he might be a little more open minded. I'll keep pushing it with him.

Oh, Bonnie, you were asking if Creed is my real name. No, I just use it as a login. My first name is Gail.

Take Care Everyone and Thanks Again!
Gail aka Creed

Back