Really great news!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FixedAgain

I haven't posted in a long time but the short story is my ejection fraction 3 months post surgery around 3 years ago was 45%, the next test three months later was 40% and then again 35%

I figured out the cause on my own. And I donated blood to bring iron levels down..but due to the doctor missing the high levels the heart was enlarged!

I got a new cardiologist, we increased the Coreg to 12.5mg 2x a day and 320mg Diovan..The last Echo showed improvement to 51% EF and some reduction of right atria enlargement.

Today, 6 months later, I just got an echo and the Cardiologist was able to get preliminary results..

The tech said "The doctor wants to speak with you after the test", which of course made me nervous..

She came into the room smiling and said the EF increased to 60% and while we don't have final results, every indication was for improvement all around.

She reduced the coreg to 6.25mg 2x a day and said I'd feel better on less of it...The Coreg is an amazing medication but I am aware of an almost blunted feeling in my heart..Very excited to see if I feel different/better.

Testing again in 4 months and if all is well, we then will drop the Diovan to 160mg...test again in 4 months and then cut Coreg in half again.

This is the best EF I have ever had..never expected such an increase.

Happy to share good news here!

It really is. I can't believe it. I have become almost conditioned to expect troubling results and for the first time didn't even have expectations of an increase in EF..I figured it had already gone to 51 from 35 and that would be it! Can't wait to get the full final results. I hope the heart shrank back to normal or close to normal. Thank you for posting!

Really good news FixedAgain ! Do you know why your iron levels are related to your Ejection Fraction ?

And also really good news that you were able to donate blood. Once I'd had my BAV replaced the blood transfusion service told me I could no longer donate. This is due to strict rules in the UK and EU :-( The doctor at the transfusion service even took my request to donate to appeal but a team of doctors said no even though my heart must obviously 'better' than it was prior to surgery when I was donating with severe stenosis ! For some reason they consider it a risk for a person who has had cardiac surgery to donate. It doesn't make sense to me…I'm pleased for you to be able to donate :)

Latest posts

Back