Re:swine flu

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tex

Re:swine flu

My hubby has just found out he has Swine Flu, he has just started his course of Tamiflu. I havent had the vaccine, as couldnt decide weather or not to have it, i did decide and made an appointment which is the 20th November when they get there vaccine in. Im worried to death about catching it, we spent the weekend in our caravan, it was sunday he began to feel unwell but i slept with him sunday night never thinking that it was Swine Flu. I am now following all the proceedures that they recommended, and have my fingers trebled crossed i dont get it, it really is a nasty Flu wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.
Thanks all for listening to me, just so worried and upset.
Jane

Really sorry for both of y'all and understand your concerns. I found the following online and copied it for you. Also, you might want to get some face masks to help avoid him spreading and you getting the virus. I understand the incubation period can be up to 10 days...be safe..!

How Does Swine Flu Spread?
Swine flu spreads like regular flu: from an infected person through coughing or sneezing. The virus can live on surfaces for a short while, so you can catch it by touching something an infected person touched and then touching your nose, mouth, or eyes. (See the CDC for more information.)

Take the same precautions as you would with regular flu: wash hands regularly, use hand sanitizer, and don't touch your nose, mouth, or eyes unless your hands are really clean. If the flu spreads, you may want to wear a mouth guard to protect against inhaling germs. Look for an "N95" mask, which is designed to keep out germs and viruses.

Hi Jane,

Take the Tamiflu. The vacine does not kick in for a couple of weeks. Now I don't know about England, but so far in the US it is a milder flu. Please don't panic! Believe me I know how you feel. Before I had my regular flu shot, this year, I started to feel ill, and had a low grade fever. Called my GP, and they prescribed the Tamiflu over the phone. I never did get any sicker. The temp was gone the next day. I don't know if it was the tamiflu or not? Most of the flu, evidently has been this swine flu, so they just prescribe it over the phone.

Keep us posted when you can. You'll be okay!

They will not give me the Tamiflu unless im showing signs of having it, i did asked that today just for me to take incase.
I have just ordered some masks off the internet they should be with me some time today i have paid extra to have them delivered same day, i dont care how much it costs. I am sat downstairs i cant sleep, its nearly 4.30am here.
Thanks you both for great advice.
Take care
Jane

Jane -- I'm glad you're getting the masks today. And it's bedtime in Texas now, so I'll keep checking on you in the coming days. Try to relax so you can keep your immune system running in high gear....no stress needed tonight..:)

Jane, Tell them you are having symptoms! They should give it to you over the phone.

Take care

Jane,

Yup, stressing your self out is not what you need right now. Try to get some sleep. Are you taking vitamins? I also take 5,000mg of asorbic acid daily. It certainly couldn't hurt.

Do you know thats what my hubby said, i will try this i think, i will ring them when the clinic is open.
Thanks again
Jane

Jane , It's a little "white lie", it's for the better. Don't worry, try to get a little sleep. Let me know what happens.

Jane,

You can not start taking the tamiflu until you acutally get symptoms. It needs to be taken within 24 to 48 hrs.

Jane,

Eating yogurt will help your immunity. The good bacteria it contains will help to crowd out the "bad bugs."

Also, you might want to spread out any vitamin C that you take, so it's every 4 hours throughout the day. Excess vitamin C isn't stored in the body, but is flushed out within 4 hours.

Jane,

You can not start taking the tamiflu until you acutally get symptoms. It needs to be taken within 24 to 48 hrs.

This actually is not true. If you know you have been exposed to the flu, starting Tamiflu can acutally help keep you from getting it. We have had the flu in our house every year and my Dr. puts ALL of us on it as soon as one of us gets it. It has always worked and it has never spread throughout our house. Earlier this fall, I thought our daughter had the swine flu and called her Dr. as well as mine, they both wanted her and me on Tamiflu asap for the same reasons.

Kim

fighting the flu

fighting the flu

We have seen some pretty amazing "avoidance" of the flu in families here in central New York by vigilant washing (hands AND face--every time you think of it!), eating right, and resting whenever you can. One young family has immune-compromised twins and a healthy three year old who were all VERY sick with flu --- and Mom and Dad came through unscathed in this way. I am praying you will do so as well. (AND, the adults around here who have had it seem to recover just fine after two or three days of fatigue, persistent mid-range fever and an aggravating cough.) Try to rest and take care of yourself as well as your patient.

Diana

Hi kafaye,

That's good to know. My dr's office gave me that info about waiting 24 to 48 hrs. I was told it can not prevent the flu, you may get a milder case if anything at all.

Back